Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gj84uw
Helper II
Helper II

Update SharePoint Managed Metadata Column using string

Hi everyone

I have a flow that updates columns on a SharePoint document when it is uploaded.  The metadata for the document is obtained by splitting the folder structure of the library.  So for example if they uplpoad the document into TestLibrary/Department/DocumentType my flow splits the path and uses each section as a piece of metadata.

This works fine apart from the department column as this is a managed metadata column in the library.  If I try to pass the department string as the department MM value I get an error saying:

The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly

I'm guessing this is because the MM column is expcting both a value and GUID?  If this is the case is there currently any way I can get the GUID that matches the value and pass both to the MM column value in Flow?

Any assistance would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @gj84uw 

Since you do need the guid

Your only option then would be to first query the hidden taxonomy list that gtes generated on each site

/Lists/TaxonomyHiddenList/AllItems.aspx

query this list in Flow and get the equivalent guid for the tag and then accordingly update your field

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @gj84uw 

Since you do need the guid

Your only option then would be to first query the hidden taxonomy list that gtes generated on each site

/Lists/TaxonomyHiddenList/AllItems.aspx

query this list in Flow and get the equivalent guid for the tag and then accordingly update your field

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

@RezaDorrani 

Excellent thanks!  I'd been looking at using the send web request to SharePoint actions to achieve this but your method is much simpler.

ARM
Frequent Visitor

How did you pass both values into a an update file properties flow?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (55,898)