cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techtudoor
Resolver I
Resolver I

Update SharePoint Task list with Flow

I am wondering if Flow can update a SharePoint Task list? I have a flow that sends emails when a SP Task list item is created and another when the SP Task list item is updated. Now what I want to do, is update a yes/no field in the Task list using Flow. When I add this update item, the trigger fails.

I have tried using When an item or file is created, When an item or file is modified and When an item is created or modified. All of these triggers work to send an http request email. They fail once an Update item control is added anywhere in the flow. 

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Is there another way to update a SP Task list with Flow, or is this just wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
annajhaveri
Community Champion
Community Champion

@techtudoor  what error are you getting when you use Update Item in the flow? I think you will need to add trigger condition to flow to avoid infinite loop situation.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @annajhaveri , I receive the below error:

The API 'sharepointonline' returned an invalid response for workflow operation 'When_an_item_or_a_file_is_modified_-_Updated_Platform_Change_Control' of type 'OpenApiConnection'. Error details: 'The API operation 'GetOnChangedItems' is missing required property 'body/value/0/V3Comments'.'

The field I am trying to update after the Send an http request, would exit the loop and prevent the flow from triggering again until a status change.

The Task list may be updated many times until the status changes. The flow triggers when a task is updated however, if the status does not change, the flow would exit with a cancelled message. If the status does change, the flow will run through a Switch to determine which email to send via Send an http request to SharePoint.

@techtudoor  can you share the screenshot of your flow which has update item action, also if possible share screenshot of your flow run which shows the error

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer

Here is the update item. This is what is causing the error. Once I remove this, the flow works. I just want to update the communication_Sent column to Yes.

techtudoor_0-1628276989406.png

@techtudoor  has there been any changes in the column settings recently? Can you try removing the Update Item action and add again in the flow and test?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

@annajhaveri , yes I had added the Communication_Sent field. When I remove the update item action, the Flow runs fine. I am hoping to use this field to prevent emails being sent when an update to the task has been added, but the status has not changed. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (2,792)