cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update Sharepoint list when new email attachment is received

I would like to create a flow that takes a daily email attachment and updates the items (or add rows) to the Sharepoint list. The attachment is an excel file. 

This is what I have so far: 

1. When an email arrives (Yes is selected for both "Has Attachments and Include Attachments" 

2. Apply to each 

a. Get Attachment 

3. Get items (Sharepoint)

4. Apply to each 

a. Update Item (Sharepoint)

However, this does not run. Do I need to add a compose step to account for the fact that it is an excel file? Yes, the headers on both the Sharepoint and Excel file match. 

5 REPLIES 5
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What information in the attachment or email can help us find the specified item and update it?

If you want to update the item, you need to get the ID of the specified item. You can get all the items first by Get items, and then filter the items that meet the conditions by Condition, but where do we get the conditions here?

Please provide more details about this so that we could provide a proper workaround for you.

It should be noted that we cannot obtain the field names contained in the Excel table in the attachment, currently, there is no similar action to achieve such an operation.

You could refer to the link below for more details about the Excel connector. When configuring related actions, we need to specify the saved Excel file:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an ID column that serves as the identifier. 

In addition to updating the items already on the list, I want it to add the new items. 

When you say I could use the GET ITEMS first do you mean that I don't need to save the excel attachment first? I really feel like I am overthinking things. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

I mean you need to save the Excel file first, and not through Flow, it is already saved before you configure Flow.

Then we can select this file when configuring Flow.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, 

Will that flow look like the following: 

1. When a new email arrives in an inbox

2. SharePoint (get attachments)

3. condition: if id exists , excel update row. If no, excel create row? 

The excel file is a daily file that is generated with existing and new information. So, I do not want to save each excel file everyday, rather update the existing one with the new information and populate the SharePoint list.  Hope that makes sense. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Maybe we can go straight to the steps of configuring Flow to try to achieve your needs.

Could you share screenshots of Flow's current configuration?

What problems did you encounter during the configuration process? Please provide these details to us.

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (2,170)