cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zesamsam
Level: Powered On

Update a SharePoint file by multiple people?

Hello, 

I'm trying to set up a Flow that would be used by multiple people in my team, where they would each update an Excel file with events they would create on their own Outlook, and then the information would be transfered to a consolidated Excel file on a team SharePoint Online site. 

My question is the following: does the Flow action "SharePoint: Update File" simply add the new information from each person's file on the consolidated file, or does it overwrite the file with each person's file content? (I fear the second... Smiley Frustrated )

I'm asking because as I want to have a consolidated file, I'll obviously have to create a write-back flow if I want to avoid every team member overwriting the common file Smiley Tongue

Thanks for any information that can help! 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Update a SharePoint file by multiple people?

Hi @zesamsam,

Yes, the SharePoint Update file would overwrite the file.

As the Excel connector doesn't support to connect to SharePoint Online library, so to update within the WorkSheet is not available.

You may consider move the Excel into OneDrive for Business shared folders, which is possible to take use of the Excel connector to update rows.

Connector reference:

Excel

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
zesamsam
Level: Powered On

Re: Update a SharePoint file by multiple people?

Hello @v-micsh-msft

I'm not entirely sure this solves my current issue: as different team members are to update the same Excel file with their information, I need the file to be accessible by all. I cannot do that on someone's own OneDrive for Business, or I didn't understand how to reach a public shared folder. The only solution I have found, again, would be to first copy the shared Excel file from the team SharePoint Online site back to each team member's OneDrive, then update the file, and copy the newly updated file back to the team SharePoint site. But that's a hassle, and on top of that I'm still sensitive to simultaneous updates (where two or more people would trigger the flow at the same time, resulting in each overwriting the other's version). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Coming Soon: T-shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Users online (6,249)