Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Updating Medadata in document library Using Flow

OVERVIEW

The company I work for holds contract documents for all our clients in SharePoint using a document library. We have been organizing document using folders AND we want to start using metadata to better organize documents.

PROBLEM

We have hundreds of documents in this document library and we don’t want to have to go through each document to update the column value (metadata).

EXAMPLE

So, say I have a folder named Fruit and within that folder there are subfolders named: apple, banana, pear. I have a column (metadata) in the document library to specify the color. I want to update the “color” column value for all documents in banana folder to “yellow”.

QUESTION

Is there a way to update ALL document’s metadata in a select folder with a given value?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Updating Medadata in document library Using Flow

@TKrause5the short answer is yes....

I suggest using a Button trigger to start the Flow (this is just a one time update).

Then, use a switch statement inside of a for each loop to check the Folder Path.  If the Folder Path contains, for example, Apple, update the file appropriate metadata column to yellow using the Update File Properties action to Green.

If you have more than 5000 documents, there are other considerations.

Let me know if you want an example.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

An example would be VERy helpful!

I am not sure about the ACTION to update a documents medadata ether. 

This would save my team a load of time!

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@TKrause5:

Before I respond further, are you averse to configuring and using SharePoint default column values?

Also, is there version history that you need to keep?

The reason I am asking is that, going forward, you can use column default values to automatically populate metadata columns based on the folder.  That will mean that your users won't need to populate the columns.

If you want to use column default values,  a simple way to do this might be to simply create a new copy of each document in the library (via Flow) and delete the original.  Doing so implies that the version history will be lost.

My original idea of using a switch statement won't work well for a variety of reasons, but using conditions/if statements will work.  The problem is that it will be a long and ugly Flow.

There are other ways to approach this as well.

That said, the easiest way would be to configure column default values and copy/delete as I explained above.

Will this work for you?

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

First off thanks for your response, 

So, I do see what you’re saying about default columns and that is an option. 

I am hesitant because the document library contains very secure documents that have been in this location for years AND getting rid of the version history would not be ideal in this case. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

August 2020 CYST Winners!

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (4,258)