cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate I
Advocate I

Updating Single Field in the SharePoint List using flow

Hi,

I am using SharePoint Update Item and want to update single field in the list. I am setting value for the mandatory field and the single field that I want to update leaving other fields untouched.

However, when the flow executes it clears all the other fields in the list for which I have not provided the value.

Quick looking at a code view I noticed that it's passing empty values for the other fields, can I update the code view in flow to fix the issue ? Is there other fix available for this ?

flow issue 2.pngflow issue 1.png

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

@imran7799 :

Are all of the fields being cleared out either choice or lookup columns?

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thanks for the reply @ScottShearer .

They all are single line of text. After you replied, I reviewed all the columns in the list and looks like this is hapening only with all the "Single line of text" columns.

I have other types of fields in the list (Multi line text, date, person etc.) but they are not loosing their values.

Super User III
Super User III

@imran7799 :

I don't see why this may be happening to you - it should not be. 

As a work around, put a Get Item action before the Update Item action.  Then, supply values for Get Item Dynamic Properties for those columns that are being cleared.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

Scott 

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

That’s what I have done for now. Wanted to see if there is any better solution to this issue.

Hi, did you find a solution? I only have 1 field I want to update within the list. I am tentative to test my flow because I do not want to lose my list data. 

I have the same issue and my list have some choice fields, which is showing their default values rather than the list value. I didn't test the flow since I don't want to overwrite the data. Will have to test it with some dummy data to see if the default values are getting overwritten on those fields.

I'm not sure that this is still an issue for you. I did find that for every SharePoint field that had a default value, that the Update Item step would default to that value. If I deleted the value while editing the PA Update Item, the description text would appear in the GUI and if I peeked at the code, the field would no longer be listed in the update action.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (11,020)