cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rhys_AMSHelix
Frequent Visitor

Use a child flow (or other method) to initialise a list of variables and then feed back into main flow

Hi,

I am working on a very large flow and have reached the maximum limit for the number of actions (mainly due to creating a lot of variables)

Is there a way to outsource the creation of these variable to another flow, child or otherwise, and then have the variables available in the main flow? I've not used child flows before and can't figure out how to feed the initialised variables back into the main flow.

Thanks for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rhys_AMSHelix
Frequent Visitor

I have managed to reduce the number of actions by using compose actions instead.

Rather than initialising a variable and then appending it with one of two statements depending on a condition action I was able to remove the initialise action and have two compose actions in the yes and no sides of the condition action. So effectively reducing action numbers by 1/3.

Thanks everyone for your input

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
VictorIvanidze
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

don't you think minimization of amount of variables is much better way?

Try to replace pairs Initialize variable/Set Variable  to Compose actions.

Also I guess a significant part of your variables are constants.  Use a single array instead of several variables.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact me if you are interested in custom Power Automate development.

Most of my variables aren't constants but are strings used later in the flow. I'm also not sure that I can use the compose action to initialise/ set a variable because I need to initialise the string variable and then append it later based on a control action

srduval
Super User
Super User

if you have a premium license, you might be able to spin some tasks off via the HTTP action. You won't get any feedback (back into your main flow) that it completes but for anything that doesn't have any downstream implications, it's a simple way to split flows into smaller chunks. You can write the HTTP body to accept parameter/variable values, so you can pass values from flow a to flow b when you invoke flow b. Beyond that without seeing your specific flow it's hard to see what's going on. 

Hi @Rhys_AMSHelix,

understood. What about using array instead of  set of values?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rhys_AMSHelix
Frequent Visitor

I have managed to reduce the number of actions by using compose actions instead.

Rather than initialising a variable and then appending it with one of two statements depending on a condition action I was able to remove the initialise action and have two compose actions in the yes and no sides of the condition action. So effectively reducing action numbers by 1/3.

Thanks everyone for your input

Hi @Rhys_AMSHelix,

it seems I've suggested you to use the Compose actions, do you remember? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events happening this month - don't miss out!

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (3,273)