cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rambo17
Frequent Visitor

Users cannot be assigned to the workflow

Hello everybody,

Why am I getting this error message? Why can't I assign the employees to the workflow? Do the users need a 365 Office account to assign employees to the workflow?
What are the requirements for the user so that you can test the whole thing in a test tenant with fictitious service users.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 171510.png

Rambo17_0-1612369246420.png

Greetings Rambo

6 REPLIES 6
Hardesh15
Super User
Super User

@Rambo17  For Approval action you can use any email id like gmail account. There is no such restriction in approval action.

Please 'Thumbs Up' the posts that helped you and 'Mark as Solution' if my post answered your question.

@Hardesh

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Rambo17 what is the value that is getting passed to your flow which is causing the flow to fail ?

What is the email id ?

Other e-mail accounts cannot be stored. I always get the same error message. We have created 2 accounts in a test tenant to test approval worklows. I cannot specify a requester either.

I wanted to test a simple approval workflow. As in the example tutorial from Rezai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZnI0_atYUo&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiFUGTtwSwFT79Y7_jq_Aipe

Do you need an official MS 365 email address to test this or is it because we have not assigned an Outlook app to the accounts.

However, it should also be possible to test the approval within Power Automate without an email notification. So within the organization (test tenant)

The accounts are shown to me under "assigned to"

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Rambo17 I just tried sending approver as my personal mail ID(gmail domain) and it failed so I conculde that for start and wait for an approval action the approvers should have a O365 license.

Sending an email notification to external domain works just fine but external domain users cannot be in approvers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Other e-mail accounts cannot be stored. I always get the same error message. We have created 2 accounts in a test tenant to test approval worklows. I cannot specify a requester either.

I wanted to test a simple approval workflow. As in the example tutorial from Rezai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZnI0_atYUo&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiFUGTtwSwFT79Y7_jq_Aipe

Do you need an official MS 365 email address to test this and the tutorial or is it because we have not assigned an Outlook app to the accounts.

However, it should also be possible to test the approval within Power Automate without an email notification. So within the organization (test tenant)

The accounts are shown to me under "assigned to"

What do you mean by email id? So how are they represented in Power Automate?

Rambo17_0-1612430899279.png

So do I need an MS 365 license for both test accounts in order to fully test approval workflows within my organization (test tenant)? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,373)