cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jubei

Using Automate with SharePoint

I need some advice on how to get started here and would really appreciate some pointers. Specifically on how to work with SharePoint using Power Automate when it's an Instant Flow.

I have a SharePoint list upon which I've created a PowerApps Canvas App. I also have an Instant Flow ready called MyFlow that just initialises a variable and does nothing else. I can trigger my Flow by using the below function on a button:

'MyFlow'.Run(Page.LastSubmit.ID)

The Flow is triggered successfully (using a simple Initialize variable action that doesn't really do anything) and from my understanding I have passed the ID of the current item to the Flow, correct?

Method 1: Get Item (singular)

Now in my Flow I want to using the Get Item action (singular) to take values from the current item e.g. I have a field called Status. To configure this Get Item action I expect to configure it by adding my site and list then configuring the Id field to Ask in PowerApps as follows:
1.PNG

However when I save this and trigger the flow from my PowerApps button I get this message:

MyFlow.Run failed: The method 'Run' has an invalid value for parameter 'Getitem_Id'

Method 2: Get Items (multiple)

If I use Get Items I will need to use filtering as there's a limit of 5000 items so filter the query using the Ask in PowerApps as follows:
2.PNG

Again I get the error:

MyFlow.Run failed: The method 'Run' has an invalid value for parameter 'Getitem_Id'

Ultimately I want my flow to be able to get values from the current item. But I'm obviously not passing the ID correctly. I've spent so much time trying to find an answer and would really appreciate some help, advice or pointers. Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion
4 REPLIES 4
DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Jubei 

You are literally trying to pass the ID of the Item.  If you navigate to your list you can view the ID column (might need to add it to current view).

DamoBird365_0-1614710515463.png

Get Items is expecting a List Item ID

DamoBird365_2-1614710681584.png

You'll need to establish what is being received by the PowerApp trigger by looking at the history.

It might be an idea to stick a compose action in after the PowerApps trigger (just temporarily) to see what GetItem_Id looks like and then hopefully you can work out what data you are passing to the Flow and why the get item is failing.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here

@DamoBird365 wrote:

It might be an idea to stick a compose action in after the PowerApps trigger (just temporarily) to see what GetItem_Id looks like and then hopefully you can work out what data you are passing to the Flow and why the get item is failing.

I added the Compose action with the Ask in PowerApps expression and it comes up blank meaning I'm not passing the ID across.

1.png

2.png

My PowerApps function to trigger the flow looks like this:

MyFlow.Run(Page.LastSubmit.ID)

I thought by using LastSubmit.ID that I would be sending the current item ID to the Flow.

DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DamoBird365 wrote:

Thanks for your help with this. Using the Compose item to provide telemetry will help me troubleshoot going forward.

In my case I set the form the New and allowed the ID to feed into the Flow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Groups Public Preview

Join us for our User Group Public Preview!

Power Automate User Groups are coming! Make sure you’re among the first to know when user groups go live for public preview.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (27,820)