cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MPayne-94
Helper I
Helper I

Using Flow Expressions with Multi Select SharePoint Fields

I am trying to build a flow that pulls names from a multi select from a SharePoint List that I then want to do a If Contains String Variable on that list to generate emails addresses. An example of the formula I have tried is below:

if(contains(triggerBody()?['COLUMN NAME'],'PERSON NAME'),'NAME@EMAIL.com',null)

This unfortunately only returns the null even when there is the desired name chosen in the multi select list.

Am I on the right track to pull what I am looking for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@MPayne-94 

Here is an example.  I have a list with a multi-select choice column called MyChoice.  I evaluate each selection in the loop by looking at MyChoice Value. The string will contain a semicolon delimited list of email addresses.

Technically, I could have eliminate the conditions and used a single expression but the expression would be a bit ugly.

MultiChoice1.jpgMultiChoice2.jpgMultiChoice3.jpgMultiChoice4.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

@MPayne-94 

A SharePoint choice column that allows for multi-select generates a collection in Flow.  So, you need to loop through the responses (value) and take action as appropriate on each value.  Let me know if you need a example.

Scott

An example would be great thanks.

@ScottShearer 

@MPayne-94 

Here is an example.  I have a list with a multi-select choice column called MyChoice.  I evaluate each selection in the loop by looking at MyChoice Value. The string will contain a semicolon delimited list of email addresses.

Technically, I could have eliminate the conditions and used a single expression but the expression would be a bit ugly.

MultiChoice1.jpgMultiChoice2.jpgMultiChoice3.jpgMultiChoice4.jpg

Scott

View solution in original post

@ScottShearer 

This is actually how I had it set up to begin with. The issue I ran  into with was that I have 41 different names in my multi-select.

This is also only the first part of my flow that I imagine will become quite expansive and I worry about the flow taking too long and failing

@MPayne-94 

I suggest creating a second SharePoint list that contains the option values as well as the email addresses.  That way, you can just lookup the email address in the reference list rather than using a condition.  You'll still need to loop through each selected option per my example.

Scott

Can you please provide an example. I am using a People or Group column with multiple people selected rather than a Choice column with multiple selections.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (74,443)