cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leslie_rivera
Helper II
Helper II

Using checkbox to update text fields in a SharePoint list

I am creating an outage notification app. What I want is when the checkbox is checked it patches several columns in the list with specific text. (The columns are all single line text) When unchecked it removes or overrides the data so its blank.

leslie_rivera_0-1608151795139.png

I have this in the OnCheck property of the checkbox

leslie_rivera_1-1608151855215.png

I have this in the UnCheck property of the checkbox

leslie_rivera_2-1608151899697.png

I am not certain what to put in the Default or OnSelect properties of the checkbox... can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
leslie_rivera
Helper II
Helper II

I am certain I was over-complicating the task.

This post helped me find a better solution 

What I did was unlock the title card, place the checkbox and my label inside the data card. Then in the Default property I added:

If(FileAccessCheckbox.Value,"File Access","")

And it worked!!!! .. now to apply to the rest of my app. Happy Friday everyone!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Gopala_Krishna
Super User
Super User

@leslie_rivera 

OnCheck and OnSelect are both the same the moment you select the check box it triggers both the OnCheck and OnSelect parts. You can just leave the OnSelect blank as you already have the formula specified in the OnCheck.

Default is something where you want to execute some formula when the user has not performed any action on the check box, For example in the app I want to notify my user in case he has not performed any action on the check box, then I can use the default to notify the user using the notify() function indicating that no action has been performed.

For now you can just leave both the fields as blank.

More insights related to the control can be viewed in the document - Check Box control: reference - Power Apps | Microsoft Docs

If the information shared helps you, please consider giving a thumbs up 👍 and mark solution as resolved.

Thanks .. but for some reason its not updating the list.. well not all the fields are updating. And I am using the field name in the formula .. example
{Systems_x0020_Affected: "File Access"}, {Systems_x0020_Affected_x0020_Mes: "Access to the file server will be unavailable during this time. "}

The Systems Affected message appears in SharePoint but the Systems Affected does not. not sure why.

Gopala_Krishna
Super User
Super User

@leslie_rivera 

Please check if the column name is mentioned correctly.

Some times though we see space in the name when storing it sharepoint tries to remove the spaces and store the information.

Go to List settings in share point --> Click on the column name --> Check the URL there you will be able to see the exact column name.

Mention the same in Patch function and it will work as expected.

If the information shared helps you, please consider giving a thumbs up 👍 and mark solution as resolved.

leslie_rivera
Helper II
Helper II

I am certain I was over-complicating the task.

This post helped me find a better solution 

What I did was unlock the title card, place the checkbox and my label inside the data card. Then in the Default property I added:

If(FileAccessCheckbox.Value,"File Access","")

And it worked!!!! .. now to apply to the rest of my app. Happy Friday everyone!!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (63,766)