cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

What is the value of an unanswered question?

Yes, yes  very Zen, right?

Seriously, what is the value of an optional Forms question that is left unanswered?

I have tried to use something like: if(equals(UNANSWERED FORM QUESTION, null),true,false), and variations of that, but to no avail; my Boolean always evaluated false.

For my current problem, the only possible answers are "Yes" and "No," so I can come at from the other direction, but I won't always have that luxury.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

Here is a solution that worked for me.

First populate the value of the Choice response in a COMPOSE action.

yashkamdar_0-1599623175368.png

Then use the following expression-

empty(outputs('Compose')) 

The above expression  is equal to true

yashkamdar_1-1599623213066.png

When I keep my choice field empty this evaluates to TRUE

yashkamdar_2-1599623327763.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BenDonahue 

So you have a Microsoft Forms which you have an MultiOption Answer and you want to manipulate it when a response is received?

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

Here is a solution that worked for me.

First populate the value of the Choice response in a COMPOSE action.

yashkamdar_0-1599623175368.png

Then use the following expression-

empty(outputs('Compose')) 

The above expression  is equal to true

yashkamdar_1-1599623213066.png

When I keep my choice field empty this evaluates to TRUE

yashkamdar_2-1599623327763.png

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hello @Mira_Ghaly ,

I want to check to see if the question is answered. Yes, it is a multi-option where you may only select one option. Really, I want to see if answer=null, but I haven't had any luck with that yet.

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

@yashkamdar ,

empty, right. Is it safe to say that in flow, empty replaces null? at least in some cases?

Highlighted

Hello Team,

It all depends on what you are trying to do, each expressions appeals to a particular scenario.

Important thing to know that Empty is an expression whereas NULL is a value.

So Empty will return you a True value if an Object, Array or a String does not hold any value whereas NULL itself is a value.

On a side note, it is indeed true that in FLOW, Empty replaces NULL in most cases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Users online (8,131)