cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forbudt4u
Resolver I
Resolver I

When a List is Updated issue

Hello, I have a flow that is working.  However, I had to modify some of the processes we were using on the PowerApps & SharePoint side of thing so I turned the flow off when working through those issues.   The issue is that when I turned the flow back on it ran the flows for all updates that took place during the entire off time duration.  There were TONS of updates and it literally locked up my SharePoint & PowerApp, so I had to turn off the flow again.  

Can someone confirm what the flow is looking at?  I have other flows that are set up under the same template (when a list item is updated) and they don't seem to follow this logic... they actually only run when it sees the update happen in real time.  I didn't think the flow would look through the entire list to see what updates meet the trigger conditions during the off-time and run all of them?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jinivthakkar
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@forbudt4u yes that happens because the events are queued and as soon as you turn them on, they all start to fire.

Its a data loss prevention feature by Microsoft, see this for more details :

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Turning-off-Flow-and-turning-back-on-still-...

But to help you with this situation, you can add a trigger condition for your flows, so the queued instance doesn't run, check how to add trigger condition 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlS6pSAx-GY

Going to be quite some work but I don't see a way out apart from trigger condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jinivthakkar
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@forbudt4u yes that happens because the events are queued and as soon as you turn them on, they all start to fire.

Its a data loss prevention feature by Microsoft, see this for more details :

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Turning-off-Flow-and-turning-back-on-still-...

But to help you with this situation, you can add a trigger condition for your flows, so the queued instance doesn't run, check how to add trigger condition 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlS6pSAx-GY

Going to be quite some work but I don't see a way out apart from trigger condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@jinivthakkar 

Thank you for the links, and as with almost everything Microsoft does, I both understand and don't understand the logic behind why they do things the way they do.  Going through the entire 7 pages of comments, the reasons why I don't understand are only confirmed.  You would think that Microsoft would give a simple toggle choice on whether or not you want the flow queued while turned off or not.  

The good news is that even though I have roughly 30 flows, there are realistically only 5 or so that I would ever turn off.  So, it looks like I'll have to go add an impossible trigger to those. 

Appreciate the links and education regarding this issue.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (1,374)