cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahbbo
Frequent Visitor

When a file is created... and Timing of Turning on Flows

Okay, so I just ran into this and wondered if anyone else has the same issue. 

Been working on a series of flows for a specific library, that change status, populate metadata, send email notifications, what have you.   The only one triggered automatically When a File is Created (Properties Only)... is a pretty simple flow that updates properties and sends an email. 

I had to add some documents today that didn't need the notification or property update, so I turned the flow off.  This morning I added the docs, updated a few properties manually, and everything seemed to be going fine.  This afternoon (6 hrs after adding the files), I was ready to turn the flow back on again. 

Problem is, that when I turned the flow back on, IT RAN ON ALL THE EXISTING DOCUMENTS! It overwrote everthing I entered this morning, and unfortunatley sent an email for each one (luckily to me as I was still using my email until fully live).  I specifically used Created and not Created/Modified because of this, but is there no way around it? Does turning on a Flow with this trigger mean it will run on any files created since it was turned off?

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm not sure if it's a bug, or if it's what to expect. Would this mean that I'd have to save a copy of an automatic flow every time I want to turn it off for a couple hours?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sarahbbo ,

Thanks for feedback.

The issue could be reproduced by me.

However, I am afraid that it is not a bug, but an important feature to avoid data loss.

Please check the following thread on Turning off Flow and turning back on still create new instances of Flow:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Turning-off-Flow-and-turning-back-on-still-create-new...

Flow Staff @Stephen  mentioned that it is a feature to avoid data loss, which allows you to temporarily disable a flow, make corrections, and then enable the flow, running it over all of the events that happened in the interim.

Besides, we’ll look at adding an option to delete the trigger data so you can start again from scratch.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sarahbbo ,

Thanks for feedback.

The issue could be reproduced by me.

However, I am afraid that it is not a bug, but an important feature to avoid data loss.

Please check the following thread on Turning off Flow and turning back on still create new instances of Flow:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Turning-off-Flow-and-turning-back-on-still-create-new...

Flow Staff @Stephen  mentioned that it is a feature to avoid data loss, which allows you to temporarily disable a flow, make corrections, and then enable the flow, running it over all of the events that happened in the interim.

Besides, we’ll look at adding an option to delete the trigger data so you can start again from scratch.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (3,548)