Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaina
Helper II
Helper II

When approving in outlook desktop approver redirects in MS Flow browser

Hi.

We've encountered some approvers who cannot submit approval response thru Outlook Desktop. 

When user click approve / reject, it will re-direct to Power Automate site. 

Please advise how to resolve this?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manuelstgomes
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @jaina 

I would believe so. The approval process is an special "email" that is parsed by Outlook. If it's a new version it will "understand" that is an approval and you'll be able to do it within your mailbox. Older versions of outlook will deal with it as a link and that's why you're redirected to Power Automate.

I'm not sure about the versions but 2013 looks old enough that this might be the issue.

Cheers
Manuel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
manuelstgomes
Super User II
Super User II

Hi

Was this working before or never worked?
It could be an old version of outlook. You can even do this in Microsoft Teams, so I'm finding it strange that it's opening the website.

Cheers
Manuel

jaina
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @manuelstgomes , thanks for responding!

Actually,  it is working well to most of the approvers, but for some with Outlook 2013 encountered this.

jaina
Helper II
Helper II

Does this mean that the approval within email using MS flow of Power Automate is based on the user's Outlook license/version? 

manuelstgomes
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @jaina 

I would believe so. The approval process is an special "email" that is parsed by Outlook. If it's a new version it will "understand" that is an approval and you'll be able to do it within your mailbox. Older versions of outlook will deal with it as a link and that's why you're redirected to Power Automate.

I'm not sure about the versions but 2013 looks old enough that this might be the issue.

Cheers
Manuel

View solution in original post

jaina
Helper II
Helper II

do you have Microsoft documentation about this?  thanks

Hey @jaina 

Please have a look at  - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/issues-with-flow-approval-emails-in-outlook-desktop-and-we...

From the article - 

For users that are not on the required version of Outlook, or are using another mail client like Mail.app for iOS/Mac OS X, etc., users will receive an HTML email with links to take the user to the Flow portal to respond to approvals.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (68,811)