Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Why does my flow keep triggering?

I am a flow newbie.

I have a workflow with a manual trigger so that every time an item is created or updated, it will run. It will populate a text column with the folder path, then replace the "/" in the folder path with a ", " and populate a text Keywords column. That seems to work, but I noticed the workflow keeps triggering. It's like it registers the fact that two columns were updated as a new modification and triggers the workflow again.

Again, I am new at this.

I want my workflow to run either when new content is uploaded to my library OR when I want it to run.

1 First Action.png2 Second Action.png3 Third Action.png4 Fourth Action.png

I really don't know what I'm doing. I can't explain why I built the flow this way except that when I try taking actions out or rearranging them, it breaks.

Is there a reason why this setup would make my flow trigger up to 5 or 7 times?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Why does my flow keep triggering?

@ACPBSCi 

So, if I understand correctly, you have a manual Flow that updates an item.  You also have a Flow that runs when an item is changed.  You run the manual Flow and the automated Flow that runs on change kicks off.  And, if the automated Flow also updates the item, you go into an infinite loop.

Take a look at this blog that I posted a day or so ago.

The issue is that the Automated Flow will run, as designed, when an update is made even if that update is from another Flow or the Flow that is updating the item.  You can use the technique that I describe in my blog to stop this behavior.  In my blog, I mention setting a value in an multi-line append text column.  In your case, you will want to do this in both of your Flows but you'll only need the trigger condition in the automated Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@ACPBSCi 

Do you have another Flow that runs when the document is changed?

Is that the workflow that keeps triggering?

Scott
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, @ScottShearer.

Good suggestion, but sadly no. I had 2 workflows in that environment that were on. The Instant workflow only runs when I manually kick it off. It runs once, updates my content, and finishes. It's the automated one that keeps looping. I've been a Nintex and SharePoint Designer workflow developer for years, so I have a good background in process automation. I just don't understand flow. My research indicates that I need an "apply to each" action, but I'm not sure why if I only want to update the properties of the item the workflow is running on. I also have an "apply to each" action in my instant workflow. What is the logic behind that?

I don't understand why I can't copy the actions in my instant workflow and create an automated workflow and get the same result with the identical development. What do you recommend?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@ACPBSCi 

So, if I understand correctly, you have a manual Flow that updates an item.  You also have a Flow that runs when an item is changed.  You run the manual Flow and the automated Flow that runs on change kicks off.  And, if the automated Flow also updates the item, you go into an infinite loop.

Take a look at this blog that I posted a day or so ago.

The issue is that the Automated Flow will run, as designed, when an update is made even if that update is from another Flow or the Flow that is updating the item.  You can use the technique that I describe in my blog to stop this behavior.  In my blog, I mention setting a value in an multi-line append text column.  In your case, you will want to do this in both of your Flows but you'll only need the trigger condition in the automated Flow.

Scott

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, @ScottShearer, thank you for your response. It appears that I need to create a flag, have the flow set the flag, then read the flag to determine if it needs to run again. That is a good solution, it's a pity we need it. I can't fathom why the workflow would trigger when there was already an instance running on the same item. It's a mystery. I hope they fix that.

Also, I will check out your blog for other tips and tricks. Like I said, flow is a new tool for me and I'm struggling to find my way around.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,914)