cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clh
Frequent Visitor

Will a per-flow Automate license work for a flow triggered from a Power App?

With my organization, all users have an E3 license which includes standard Power Automate and Power Apps functionality.

Up until now, any Automates or Apps we've built have used standard connectors, primarily SharePoint and Outlook.  So we haven't needed premium licenses.

We now want to build a Power App that will need to call ONE Power Automate that uses a premium connector.

Rather than Power Apps licenses, could we instead apply a per-flow Power Automate license to the one Automate that uses the premium connector?  I can't find any information anywhere that indicates whether a per-flow license is applicable to a flow called from a Power App.

I do know that there are also "per-app" Power App licenses, but there are various reasons why the per-flow Automate license would fit better for this situation, if it will work.

6 REPLIES 6
takolota
Super User
Super User

This should have what you need:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/power-automate-licensing/faqs

25FC7A3A-0057-490D-A854-20D672BFC1FC.png

The Power Apps trigger is an instant flow trigger.

clh
Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  I had read through that entire licensing section, but it still wasn't clear to me for this specific scenario.  By your reply, it sounds like the per-flow license would work for us.

takolota
Super User
Super User

@clh 

If you get it set up with a per flow plan, you may still want to check this Power Apps menu to see if it says it’s still a premium app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/license-designation

For my per user flow, if I include any premium connectors, it still designates any connected app as premium.

I’m curious if it picks up whether it’s a per glow plan or not.

clh
Frequent Visitor

Yeah, that's what I was wondering and whether it made a difference.  It doesn't surprise that it still flags the app as premium, but does the system allow the app to run using the Automate license without also requiring an Apps license? 

@clh 

I’m not sure.

But I did notice when I set up the flow with an HTTP call that then called an another flow with the premium connectors, then it did not have a premium designation on the app for my per user-license HTTP flow.

But I don’t know whether those premium HTTP call actions will cause an app to be marked premium in the future. And regardless if that is what you have to do to avoid the premium designation on a per-flow app, then it seems very strange. Because that is like their policy saying one thing about licensing, but their actual design of the platform suggesting something else.

clh
Frequent Visitor

Yeah, the HTTP connector specifically seems to be an oddball, and I don't know, and can't find any info about why.

We do have one account, a process account, that has a premium per-user Automate license and we've developed flows with it using HTTP, and then used those flows in Power Apps.  Thus far, the system has not required us to get any other licenses for users of these Power Apps.

I do know that HTTP was one of the connectors, among others, that MS changed from a standard to a premium connector back in mid-2019, and there was some sort of transition period during which a license wasn't required for these immediately.  But from everything I've read, I believe that transition period should be over.

But now we want to utilize some other premium connectors where the system IS enforcing requiring licenses for the users of the associated Power Apps.  (I developed a quick and dirty test App to check it out, so we didn't waste time developing a full App before discovering the license issue.)

I mean, I understand why the system is enforcing the licensing for these other connectors, and it makes sense.  It's just very confusing why the system is NOT enforcing the licensing for the HTTP connector specifically.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,382)