cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nvikey
Regular Visitor

approval flow updates list item with flow owner name. Useless for audit

While creating approval flows in power automate based on New sharepoint item trigger, the approvals are happening outside the SharePoint ecosystem. Even though the approval summary can be capture in the SharePoint list column, all the updates are happening on the name of the flow owner. 

How can this help during the audit without any trace of who has approved, when? How can I prove the items are not manually updated by the flow owner?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SudeepGhatakNZ
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@nvikey ,

What you are experiencing is how it is designed.

Flow actions will use the connection details while performing inserts/updates, so you will always find the flow owner in the Created By/Modified By fields.

If you have auditing needs, create a separate Audit list with custom columns Approver, Approval Date, Approval Outcome, and Approval Comments. Below is how I do it.

SudeepGhatakNZ_0-1669591497296.png

You can even use JSON formatting to improve UX

SudeepGhatakNZ_1-1669591568392.png

If my suggestion helped you, please give it a Thumbs up and mark it as a Solution so that it can benefit others in the community.

View solution in original post

nvikey
Regular Visitor

@SudeepGhatakNZ I am following that way already to capture the details in the list column. But all that are only cosmetic solutions and did not satisfy me as a real evidence. 

Now I handled it in a better way I believe. Let me tell you How. Along with the approver name, outcome and timestamps, I am also capturing now the ApprovalID property from the output of the Approval action. Later if someone questions the integrity of the Approval, we can cross refer the Approvals table in the Dataverse with the help of this Approval ID. It is unique. 

Correct me if I am wrong. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SudeepGhatakNZ
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@nvikey ,

What you are experiencing is how it is designed.

Flow actions will use the connection details while performing inserts/updates, so you will always find the flow owner in the Created By/Modified By fields.

If you have auditing needs, create a separate Audit list with custom columns Approver, Approval Date, Approval Outcome, and Approval Comments. Below is how I do it.

SudeepGhatakNZ_0-1669591497296.png

You can even use JSON formatting to improve UX

SudeepGhatakNZ_1-1669591568392.png

If my suggestion helped you, please give it a Thumbs up and mark it as a Solution so that it can benefit others in the community.
nvikey
Regular Visitor

@SudeepGhatakNZ I am following that way already to capture the details in the list column. But all that are only cosmetic solutions and did not satisfy me as a real evidence. 

Now I handled it in a better way I believe. Let me tell you How. Along with the approver name, outcome and timestamps, I am also capturing now the ApprovalID property from the output of the Approval action. Later if someone questions the integrity of the Approval, we can cross refer the Approvals table in the Dataverse with the help of this Approval ID. It is unique. 

Correct me if I am wrong. 

SudeepGhatakNZ
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I get your Point. Your approach looks good. ApprovalID can be used as the evidence and Approvals table in Dataverse can serve as your Audit Table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,179)