cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2PuttTommy
Level: Powered On

automated trigger - SharePoint - When an item is created or modified - question

Hello All -

Is default behavior for Flows automatically triggered with the SharePoint - When an item is created or modified to fire every minute regardless of whether an object has actually been modified or created?

My Flow is constantly running despite the fact that none of the list's items have actually been modified or created.  

If that is default behavior, does everyone just do a logic test to check whether that is true?  And also, is there a limit as to how many flows can be run based on licensing restrictions?  Do these runs count against the limit?

Any/all insights greatly appreciated.

Tnx, Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: automated trigger - SharePoint - When an item is created or modified - question

@2PuttTommy 

This does not appear to be your entire Flow.  Do you have a SharePoint Update Item action anywhere in your Flow?  If so, then that is your issue (as was suggested by @RobElliott ).  The way around this to to add an additional column to use as a flag.  Set it to some value when your Flow runs.  At the stop of your Flow, have a condition that checks for that value and stops the Flow using a control terminate action.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: automated trigger - SharePoint - When an item is created or modified - question

@2PuttTommy the default behaviour is not to fire every minute unless you've got something in your flow that is causing that, for example you are updating an item which then re-triggers the flow. It would be very helpful if you cojuld post a screenshot of your flow so we can have a look and give you some advice.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

2PuttTommy

Hello @RobElliott - Here are a couple screen prints... do I need to change some settings of the When an item is created or modified trigger to alter it's behavior?

Any/all insights appreciated!
Tnx, Tom

image.pngimage.png

Super User
Super User

@2PuttTommy 

This does not appear to be your entire Flow.  Do you have a SharePoint Update Item action anywhere in your Flow?  If so, then that is your issue (as was suggested by @RobElliott ).  The way around this to to add an additional column to use as a flag.  Set it to some value when your Flow runs.  At the stop of your Flow, have a condition that checks for that value and stops the Flow using a control terminate action.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2PuttTommy

Hi @ScottShearer  - you're right.. the logic in my Flow was evaluating to a condition that would... modify each record.  So the next minute the Flow would fire again because it appeared that all the records had been modified, once again modifying each record...

I changed the logic so each list item isn't constantly updating itself and the Flow works as expected.

Thanks for your insights.

Tom

Charles-v-D

@ScottShearer @RobElliott @2PuttTommy 

Gent's, I'm having the same issue. I have an automated flow that runs on automated trigger, then updates the item and sends an e-mail. I now receive e-mail every minute. Based on this post I understand why it happens but I'm not able to resolve based on @ScottShearer his statement. I have posted my flow begining and end section for clarification.

Would you PLEASE spell out how to resolve this issue... I only want this flow to be triggered when a user is actually creating or changing a line item. I don't want to have this automated flow triggered when a) this flow updates the same item and b) when an other flow updates the item

Hope you can help?

Thanks

Regards

Charles

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,441)