Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CABIRD
Post Patron
Post Patron

dataUriToBinary fails

Objective

Power App uses Flow to forward images to One Drive for Business and or SharePoint library.  

Sadly the below appears to not function.

dataUriToBinary(triggerBody()['Createfile_FileContent'])

Image is uploaded but file is blank. Suggests the base 64 conversion fails.  

Viewed & read the following: (All fail)

A Filename Generation Example for PowerApps with Flow

PowerApps Flow Intro Upload an image to SharePoint using Flow

Truly No-Code Solution for Saving Photos from PowerApps using Flow

An even more clever workaround for saving photos to SharePoint from PowerApps – using Microsoft Flow

Uploading Camera (Data URI) to SharePoint (Binary)

Pictures from powerapps to sharepoint back to powerapps using flow - not working     

dataUri save images to Sharepoint property 'Creafile_FileContent' doesn't exist PowerApps                                                                                                                   

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
CABIRD
Post Patron
Post Patron

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

This is the exact same Blog article that I referenced in my response two days ago.  I find it interesting that the later response with just the web reference and no explanation gets accepted as the solution instead of the earlier response with an explanation and the same web reference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If its an image file that is uploaded to PowerApps simply doing the DataUriToBinary won't work.  The problem is that images uploaded to PowerApps aren't actually in PowerApps as data.  Instead they are cached in the browser running PowerApps and the link to the Blob in the cache is given to PowerApps.  That's what you are passing to Flow.

If its an image taken by the camera then the data for the image is actually in the PowerApps.  That's when the dataUriToBinary will work.

The following is the best "hack" I know for working around the Blobmanager issue with uploaded pictures. It uses the outlook connector to retrieve the Blob and send it as data to the Flow.

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/4/flowninja-hack-87-lock-microsoft-flow-powerapps-trigger-to-upload-ima...

CABIRD
Post Patron
Post Patron

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

This is the exact same Blog article that I referenced in my response two days ago.  I find it interesting that the later response with just the web reference and no explanation gets accepted as the solution instead of the earlier response with an explanation and the same web reference.

View solution in original post

Hello @Pstork1 

Apologise, the last few days have been personally challenging (relative with dementia) nevertheless no excuse. 

Thank you. 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Let me apologize too for venting.  The really important part is that you got the answer you needed.  I didn't actually notice until after I posted that it was the original questioner who posted the response and accepted it as the solution. If I had noticed I probably would have just let it go. I understand how tough it can be to deal with a relative with dementia. My dad died late last year at 105 after many years with short term memory loss dementia.

Hello @Pstork1 

105 a really good age. Dementia is certainly challenging ever day a little less like the person you once knew. Behavioural changes are the most difficult to manage as it becomes ever harder to rationalise with the person and no end in site. Even harder for the person suffering as sometimes they know. 

Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (66,696)