cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ATruex

email integration questions

I opened a support issue with Microsoft, but I thought I would ask this in case you know.

I am a new Power Automate user. I have a flow that generates a pdf from safety inspection software called iAuditor. My flow creates a PDF attachment that is sent as an email. As I created a flow, I was presented with 2 send email options - Office365 and outlook.com. I currently use an MS Exchange mailbox with Outlook 2016. I chose outlook.com, and somehow a random Outlook account was created to send my Power Automate emails out. I do not have an office365 mailbox, but have a login to MS Teams.

1. What options do I have to send an email within PowerAutomate with outlook.com? Can I choose my own email address, or do I have to stick with the randomly generated one?
    2. Is an Office365 mailbox required (either one linked to my identity, or a functional mailbox not linked to myself) when Office365 is chosen for "Send an email (V2)" action?
    3. Can Power Automate send an email with my on-premise MS Exchange mailbox, or do I need Power Automate Desktop to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jinivthakkar
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@ATruex The best practices would be to create a service account with never expiring password, so even if the owner or the flow leaves the organization the flow would still work.

You can also use the auto-generated email ID for sending emails but I have never used them as most of the times the requirement is to have an email address/display more specific/relevant to the flow.

Once you have the service account, just add your account to the mail action. This works for O365 not sure about the outlook.com but I think it should work in similar way.

jinivthakkar_0-1611219933075.png

If you want to use shared mailbox, the owner of the flow should have delegate permissions from the account you want to send email, instead of doing this just create the flow using service account which will save a lot of efforts.

For sending email to on-premise mailbox, it should work according to me but just do a POC and try sending email.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jinivthakkar
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@ATruex The best practices would be to create a service account with never expiring password, so even if the owner or the flow leaves the organization the flow would still work.

You can also use the auto-generated email ID for sending emails but I have never used them as most of the times the requirement is to have an email address/display more specific/relevant to the flow.

Once you have the service account, just add your account to the mail action. This works for O365 not sure about the outlook.com but I think it should work in similar way.

jinivthakkar_0-1611219933075.png

If you want to use shared mailbox, the owner of the flow should have delegate permissions from the account you want to send email, instead of doing this just create the flow using service account which will save a lot of efforts.

For sending email to on-premise mailbox, it should work according to me but just do a POC and try sending email.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (60,326)