cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmistry Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

how to copy metadata from source library to destination

Hi,

I currently have a simple flow setup which triggers manually and upon trigger, copies files from Source to the destination and its working fine.

Flow.JPG

I want to know if it would be possible to map/copy metadata from source to destination document library so that Created, Created by and modfied by can be retained and not changed when the files are copied. Is this possible to do in flow currently, if so please advise.

Thanks in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Re: how to copy metadata from source library to destination

Hi @dmistry ,

Thanks for your understanding.

A similar request at here for you to vote and comment:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/copy-file-sharepoint-keep-Content-Type-and-Metadata/i...

Hope PGs will take it into consideration in future releases.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dmistry ,

When using flow to copy files from library1 to library2, the creator on library2 will be the flow creator by default which could not be changed.

Please consider adding another person or group column named as “OriginalCreator” to store the original file creator.

I have made the following flow for your reference.

Select the dynamic content Created by email from the action Get files for the OriginalCreator field.

1.PNG

Please take a try with it on your side.

Best regards,

Mabel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
dmistry Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@v-yamao-msft  thanks for the suggestion and flow workaround but I wanted to really know if we can retain Created by metadata from source to destination but since that's not doable, the OriginalCreator concept won't work for me in my requirement, I appreciate you looking into an alternative for me, thanks so much.

Super User
Super User

@dmistry :

What you have asked for is a common requirement - please consider suggesting it as a Flow Idea here.

Also, would it work for you if you could leave the document in the original location and change permissions?  While that is not "out of the box" behavior but it can be done.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dmistry ,

Thanks for your understanding.

A similar request at here for you to vote and comment:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/copy-file-sharepoint-keep-Content-Type-and-Metadata/i...

Hope PGs will take it into consideration in future releases.

Best regards,

Mabel

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Users online (5,778)