cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t0rk
Regular Visitor

native TEAMS approval - how to forward to email?

i am new to power automate.

i am building an approval process directly in TEAMS.

on approval, i would like to forward the result to outlook email.

I have noticed that if i start an approval flow in PO, it will (always?) send an email with an approval request.

This track works fine, but i want to approve natively in TEAMS - not by email.

(with the recently introduced 'APPROVALS' app.)

can anyone point me in the right direction?

your help or hints is greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
manuelstgomes
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @t0rk 

If the approval is sent to a person, that person will receive an email, but they will also receive a notification in Microsoft Teams. Both work the same way, and if one is accepted, the other changes to reflect the new status.

Can you please confirm that you're not getting the Microsoft Teams' notification?

Cheers

Manuel

------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have answered your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution." It will help other members finding the solution faster. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ?

Otherwise, reply to it, and the community will do its best to help you.

Hi Manuel,

thanks very much for your reply.

I am using the integrated APPROVAL app/function inf TEAMS.

(https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/approvals-app-now-available-on-microsoft-teams/)

This means there are only notifications within TEAMS but not through email - unlike the power-automate-driven approval flow.

however, i would like to forward an approved item from the TEAMS channel automatically by email.

To my information, the teams-integrated approval does not produce share point lists which could be used as a trigger for a PO flow. Nor can i use 'new notification in a TEAMS channel' as a trigger for PO because i only want to forward the final approved ones (not unfinished requests).

my current workaround is that i have added multiple approvers (no cc function in TEAMS approval!) which is suboptimal, because i simply want to inform others, not make them approvers..

what i have gathered as a relative newbie to PO is that the approval function in TEAMS has no connectors to the PO platform, even though it is made of it....

i hope i am making myself clear...;-/

perhaps you may have an idea to resolve this.

Best regards

@t0rk- If I understand your issue correctly, 'Approvals' are stored in your current environment in a Dataverse table called Approvals this seems to be tenant-wide as both Teams and Power Automate created approvals are stored there.

Your trigger would then be When a row is added, modified or deleted. Doing this should allow you to send an email.

image.png

t0rk
Regular Visitor

Hi Chris,

thanks to your input, i managed to connect to the approvals dataverse table and forward some information by email.

how can i use the adaptive card which is used in 'approvals' to put it into the email body?

thanks for your kind help.

L

@t0rk- I do not believe you can get access to use the adaptive card that is created. My guess is that you will need to create your own adaptive card to look like the one that is system generated. Seems like a lot of work to simply forward the result in a 'fancy' output.

I suppose I would likely start with a template like: https://adaptivecards.io/samples/FlightUpdate.html and modify the dynamic variables from the Approvals table connector trigger. Probably an IF/SWITCH(maybe?) on 'Outcome' or something.

I haven't worked with Outlook Actionable Messages too much so it would be a lot of trial and error for me.

Can you provide the details you wish to include in your forwarded outcome email in the adaptive card? I presume you're just interested in 'showing the outcome/result' and not looking for input by the recipients of the email. I do believe actual 'actionable messages' require additional connections/resources/etc.

Hi Chris,

correct, all i want to do is to 'simply' forward the Approval Result via email.

i will try to modify a adaptive card template with the card designer tool, but perhaps there is a more elegant way to forward the entire approval-bot-driven Teams Notification, triggered by the dataverse approvals table?

in fact, in the TEAMS feed i have found an option to 'share by outlook' (see screenshot), however, note that it links to the skype website leading nowhere ;-/)  https://go.skype.com/cards.unsupported

perhaps this functionality is still in development for TEAMS...

Teams approval dataverse test - share to outlook Screenshot 2021-08-31 111011.pngTEams approval dataverse 2 - Screenshot 2021-08-31 111256.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,635)