cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

new item vs. new document

Hi Community,

I'm new to MS Flow and have a rudimentary question.  Forgive my ignorance.  I'm attempting to use an existing template that will send an Outlook e-mail automatically when a new item is created in SharePoint.  My question is, as far as SharePoint is concerned, is there a difference between a "new item" vs "new document"?  The reason I ask is because I've created a new document in my SharePoint document library, yet when I start my Flow template, its asking for a "List Name".  I don't have a list name.  The flow I want to create is for an e-mail to automatcally be sent with a new document is created.  What am I missing here?  Thanks!

flow.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

There is a difference between lists and libraries in Flow.  If you want to send an email when a new file is added to a document library, you'll probably want to use the SharePoint - When a File is created (properties only) trigger.  

Do you want the email generated anytime a file is added to a library or just in a certain folder?  If you want to respond to files being created in a specific folder, take a look at the folder related triggers.

FileisCreated.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

There is a difference between lists and libraries in Flow.  If you want to send an email when a new file is added to a document library, you'll probably want to use the SharePoint - When a File is created (properties only) trigger.  

Do you want the email generated anytime a file is added to a library or just in a certain folder?  If you want to respond to files being created in a specific folder, take a look at the folder related triggers.

FileisCreated.jpg

Scott

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ScottShearer,

Thank you for clarifying!  So after posting my question, I managed to get the flow to operate correctly.  Now, I'm running into a different problem.  I chose the option to automaticaly send an e-mail when a new file is created in the folder.  Once a new file is created, Flow is sending out an e-mail multiple times!  There's too many e-mails.  Is there a setting that can be changed??

Please post a screen shot of your Flow and I try to assist.

If you don't see the camera icon to post an image, save your image to OneDrive, share it out and post a link here.

Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ScottShearer,

Looks like I spoke too soon.  I was playing with it more last night and discovered my problem.  I was using the incorrect SharePoint function.  It's working as intended now!  Thanks again for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (86,319)