Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

new item vs. new document

Hi Community,

I'm new to MS Flow and have a rudimentary question.  Forgive my ignorance.  I'm attempting to use an existing template that will send an Outlook e-mail automatically when a new item is created in SharePoint.  My question is, as far as SharePoint is concerned, is there a difference between a "new item" vs "new document"?  The reason I ask is because I've created a new document in my SharePoint document library, yet when I start my Flow template, its asking for a "List Name".  I don't have a list name.  The flow I want to create is for an e-mail to automatcally be sent with a new document is created.  What am I missing here?  Thanks!

flow.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: new item vs. new document

There is a difference between lists and libraries in Flow.  If you want to send an email when a new file is added to a document library, you'll probably want to use the SharePoint - When a File is created (properties only) trigger.  

Do you want the email generated anytime a file is added to a library or just in a certain folder?  If you want to respond to files being created in a specific folder, take a look at the folder related triggers.

FileisCreated.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

There is a difference between lists and libraries in Flow.  If you want to send an email when a new file is added to a document library, you'll probably want to use the SharePoint - When a File is created (properties only) trigger.  

Do you want the email generated anytime a file is added to a library or just in a certain folder?  If you want to respond to files being created in a specific folder, take a look at the folder related triggers.

FileisCreated.jpg

Scott

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ScottShearer,

Thank you for clarifying!  So after posting my question, I managed to get the flow to operate correctly.  Now, I'm running into a different problem.  I chose the option to automaticaly send an e-mail when a new file is created in the folder.  Once a new file is created, Flow is sending out an e-mail multiple times!  There's too many e-mails.  Is there a setting that can be changed??

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Please post a screen shot of your Flow and I try to assist.

If you don't see the camera icon to post an image, save your image to OneDrive, share it out and post a link here.

Scott
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ScottShearer,

Looks like I spoke too soon.  I was playing with it more last night and discovered my problem.  I was using the incorrect SharePoint function.  It's working as intended now!  Thanks again for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Users online (6,290)