cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skim22
Level: Powered On

new item vs. new document

Hi Community,

I'm new to MS Flow and have a rudimentary question.  Forgive my ignorance.  I'm attempting to use an existing template that will send an Outlook e-mail automatically when a new item is created in SharePoint.  My question is, as far as SharePoint is concerned, is there a difference between a "new item" vs "new document"?  The reason I ask is because I've created a new document in my SharePoint document library, yet when I start my Flow template, its asking for a "List Name".  I don't have a list name.  The flow I want to create is for an e-mail to automatcally be sent with a new document is created.  What am I missing here?  Thanks!

flow.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: new item vs. new document

There is a difference between lists and libraries in Flow.  If you want to send an email when a new file is added to a document library, you'll probably want to use the SharePoint - When a File is created (properties only) trigger.  

Do you want the email generated anytime a file is added to a library or just in a certain folder?  If you want to respond to files being created in a specific folder, take a look at the folder related triggers.

FileisCreated.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

There is a difference between lists and libraries in Flow.  If you want to send an email when a new file is added to a document library, you'll probably want to use the SharePoint - When a File is created (properties only) trigger.  

Do you want the email generated anytime a file is added to a library or just in a certain folder?  If you want to respond to files being created in a specific folder, take a look at the folder related triggers.

FileisCreated.jpg

Scott

View solution in original post

skim22

Hi @ScottShearer,

Thank you for clarifying!  So after posting my question, I managed to get the flow to operate correctly.  Now, I'm running into a different problem.  I chose the option to automaticaly send an e-mail when a new file is created in the folder.  Once a new file is created, Flow is sending out an e-mail multiple times!  There's too many e-mails.  Is there a setting that can be changed??

Super User
Super User

Please post a screen shot of your Flow and I try to assist.

If you don't see the camera icon to post an image, save your image to OneDrive, share it out and post a link here.

Scott
skim22

Hi @ScottShearer,

Looks like I spoke too soon.  I was playing with it more last night and discovered my problem.  I was using the incorrect SharePoint function.  It's working as intended now!  Thanks again for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,755)