cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcusD1
Helper I
Helper I

"When a new email arrives" = unnecessary system strain?

I'm a fairly new user of PA, but have set up a ton of flows to help manage my email inbox. I receive dozens of emails a day with attachments, all of which need to have something done with them (i.e. saved to a Sharepoint site, forwarded on, opened and reviewed, etc.). So far, I've structured almost all my flows to use the "When a new email arrives" trigger. However, since most of the emails I'm dealing with come in on a predictable schedule, I'm wondering if I should instead set the trigger as a "recurrence" - i.e. "run this flow once per day at a set time." How much strain / processing work is generated by a ton of flows that trigger every time a new email comes in - even just to assess if it meets the subsequent criteria for further processing - when really I only need to trigger a given flow maybe once or twice a day?

What if the flows I've created started being used for similar purposes by say... 100 more people in my organization for their own inboxes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @MarcusD1,

What are the subsequent criteria you are using? It might be possible to move those from a condition action to an expression in the trigger condition section of your when a new email arrives trigger action.

This way your flow will only be triggered/run whenever it is meeting those criteria. This will save you a lot of flow runs as well.

Have a look at this nice tutorial about trigger conditions by @RezaDorrani and @JonL:

Power Automate Tutorial - Intro to Trigger Conditions, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Bl5kRyHmk

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Expiscornovus
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @MarcusD1,

What are the subsequent criteria you are using? It might be possible to move those from a condition action to an expression in the trigger condition section of your when a new email arrives trigger action.

This way your flow will only be triggered/run whenever it is meeting those criteria. This will save you a lot of flow runs as well.

Have a look at this nice tutorial about trigger conditions by @RezaDorrani and @JonL:

Power Automate Tutorial - Intro to Trigger Conditions, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Bl5kRyHmk

MarcusD1
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you @Expiscornovus - that video was indeed helpful, especially the part where they talk about an automated trigger as "listening" for a condition (or set of conditions); but the flow doesn't actually trigger until those conditions are met. What I derived from it is that as long as I utilize the filter fields appropriately in the "when a new email arrives" trigger, I'm not really generating any undue system strain. Appreciate the reference.

@MarcusD1 wrote:

What I derived from it is that as long as I utilize the filter fields appropriately in the "when a new email arrives" trigger, I'm not really generating any undue system strain. 

Yes, that is correct 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Users online (2,365)