cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vladi
Frequent Visitor

run flow when item modified - not from the flow

Hello ,

i create a flow with a trigger "when an item is created or modified " from share point list .

it is possible to run the flow only when the item  is created or modified from the sharepoint list and not from the flow .?

when i update the list from the flow  , the flow start to run because the trigger is run when modified .

thanks .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vladi,

The flow with trigger "When an item is created or modified" would always be triggered when the item is created or updated from the sharepoint list or by flow.

If you would like to run a flow only when an item is modified from the sharepoint list, and don't want to run a flow when an item is modified from the flow, as an alternative way,you could consider:

1.add a "Yes/No" type column "ModifiedByFlow" in the sharepoint list, and set the defaults value of "ModifiedByFlow" column to No.

2.when modify an item from the sharepoint,keep the "ModifiedByFlow" column to No.

3.every time modify the item from flow use the Update item action, set the "ModifiedByFlow" column to Yes.

4.add a condition under the trigger "When an item is created or modified" to check if the item is modified from sharepoint or from flow, if the item is modified from flow, do nothing.if the item is modified from sharepoint, do something you want .

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Vladi,

The flow with trigger "When an item is created or modified" would always be triggered when the item is created or updated from the sharepoint list or by flow.

If you would like to run a flow only when an item is modified from the sharepoint list, and don't want to run a flow when an item is modified from the flow, as an alternative way,you could consider:

1.add a "Yes/No" type column "ModifiedByFlow" in the sharepoint list, and set the defaults value of "ModifiedByFlow" column to No.

2.when modify an item from the sharepoint,keep the "ModifiedByFlow" column to No.

3.every time modify the item from flow use the Update item action, set the "ModifiedByFlow" column to Yes.

4.add a condition under the trigger "When an item is created or modified" to check if the item is modified from sharepoint or from flow, if the item is modified from flow, do nothing.if the item is modified from sharepoint, do something you want .

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

Hello, @Vladi!

Have you had an opportunity to apply @v-yuazh-msft‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

- Gabriel
Community Manager
Power Automate | Power Virtual Agents
Super User Program Manager

FordBro
Frequent Visitor

can someone show me a visual of this flow or dm it to me. i cant get mine to work..

FordBro
Frequent Visitor

flowhelp.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (38,593)