cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

schedule a flow to run quarterly, annually, and Biennially

I have a database that contains a bunch of dates that represent due dates for regulatory reports that get submitted on a quarterly, annual, and biennial basis. The dates represent an initial date for the report submittal that is entered by the user. I would like to trigger an email reminder to the user quarterly, annually, and biennially from that date as a reminder to generate the report again. Is this possible using recurrence within Flow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dtowsey,

Could you please show a bit more about the due dates and initial dates?

Do you want to trigger an email to the user quarterly, annually and biennially from initial date in one flow?

Currently, the recurrence trigger could trigger an email to the user quarterly and annually in Microsoft Flow. Please take a try with the following workaround:

• For quarterly6.JPG

• For annually7.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dtowsey,

Could you please show a bit more about the due dates and initial dates?

Do you want to trigger an email to the user quarterly, annually and biennially from initial date in one flow?

Currently, the recurrence trigger could trigger an email to the user quarterly and annually in Microsoft Flow. Please take a try with the following workaround:

• For quarterly6.JPG

• For annually7.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That is what I am looking for. What was confusing me was the documentation regarding Flow run duration and retention. I am not sure I understand the run duration limit of 30 days. 

Highlighted

Hi @dtowsey,

The max run duration of a single flow is 30 days. For example, we add “Start an approval” action in my flow and run the flow. The “Start an approval” doesn’t stop running until the approver approve or reject the request. If the approver doesn’t make response continuously and the duration is more than 30 days, the flow will have time out error.

Best regards,

Kris

Highlighted

So I'm making a flow to send out email notifiations, but you are refering to days, weeks, months and years in the recurrence trigger, but when I try to use it "Year" is not an option largest time period I can see is month. If I try to set a mounth value larger than 16, I get an error: "The recurrence trigger 'Recurrence' interval value '17' is not valid for consumption based workflows."

15 mounths is not enough for me, I need 23 - 24 months xD

Highlighted

Hi, did you get a reply to your question about annual (year not an option)?  I don't have a need for that option yet, but I figure it's going to be an issue at some point.

Thanks

Highlighted

I just ran a test and found the answer for both of us.  We can use Day for the Frequency and whatever Interval we want.  I don't know if there is an upper limit, but I went for two years (730 days) and it appears to work.  At least I didn't get an error.

Flow to run every 2 years.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,524)