cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amulya222000
Frequent Visitor

select approver from sharepoint list for approval

I need to set up an approval as follows:

•  When an individual uploads a document to "approval required folder" the person should be able to select who gets to approve their file.
  • To enable them to select from multiple approvers i have set up a sharepoint list with a list of approvers
  • I need to set up a flow where the person can select from the approvers list who approves their document. 
  • An email gets sent to the approver to review and approve the file. 

Does anyone know how to do this?

This is my first time working with automate, and im stuck on how to allow for selectivity from a list of approvers in power automate (bullet point 3 in specific) .

Thanks in advance. 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@amulya222000 

You're right - I should have been more clear...

I should have said to create a lookup column (required) that links to a list where you have the approvers listed in a person or group column.   The List where you list the approvers should have the title column where you'll enter the individuals name and a person or group column where you'll select the approver.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ScottShearer
Super User III
Super User III

@amulya222000 

I suggest that you add a lookup column from the SharePoint library to SharePoint list where you have the approvers listed.  Make it a required column.  When a user uploads a document, they will be required to select an approver. 

Note that the document will be created before the Approver column has been populated, so you'll want to use a "When a file is created or modified"  trigger rather than an "While a file is created" trigger.  Another option is to use the "For a selected file" trigger.

You can then start a Flow and use an Approval action and add the selected individual as the approver.  The Approval action will automatically send the approver an email.

Here is a link to the Power Automate Approval documentation.

Scott

hi i just looked into lookup columns, and it says they dont support "person or group" field types. 

My approvers consists of "person" field types so will the method you mentioned still work??

@amulya222000 

You're right - I should have been more clear...

I should have said to create a lookup column (required) that links to a list where you have the approvers listed in a person or group column.   The List where you list the approvers should have the title column where you'll enter the individuals name and a person or group column where you'll select the approver.

Scott

View solution in original post

Perfect, thank you for the clarification. 

Much appreciated

Hi, 

I have implemented the sharepoint list in the document library and it is working as needed. 

The one issue i have is, a person neededs to edit the document to fill out reviewers & approver column. This is just an extra added step and isnt as efficient as i want it to be. 

Is there any other method where the person can automatically select reviewer and approver without having to edit their document.

i.e a dropdown list that can be used straight away in the document library without having to quick edit the document to choose individuals. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Users online (39,234)