cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ThamsanqaBengu
Level: Power Up

sql

I cannot connect my flow to SQL Azure due to Firewall rules. I get the following error:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) inner exception: Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

Please advise on how to add flows to whitelists on SQL Azure.

2 REPLIES 2
TomCastiglia
Level: Powered On

Re: sql

From the error message you included, I'm not sure that is a firewall error in SQL Azure.  When the firewall is blocking the client IP address, the error message reported by SQL Management Studio is a bit different and specifies the current IP address in the message body.  At lease that has been my experience.  However, assuming that your problem is a SQ Azure firewall issue, here is my advice...

SQL Azure does require the firewall settings to be updated to grant access directly to each client AP address that is used to connect. This is done in the Azure managament portal, as follows:

1. Open Azure Management Portal from the same machine that is running SQL Management Studio
  2. Select the name of your Azure SQL Database name
  3. From the database screen, click the value under the "Server name", which will display the server settings screen.  
  4. From the "Server Settings" screen, click on "Show Firewall Settings"
  5. The Firewall Setting screen will display the current IP address and include a button called "Add Client IP", simply click this button to add the current IP address to the fiewall settings.
Thomas
Level 8

Re: sql

The idea is right. But where do you get the IP from MS Flow from 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 114 members 5,118 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: