Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vstar19
Helper V
Helper V

updating dynamic excel files

Hello There. 

I have a two excel files stored in sharepoint, for e.g April.xlslx and May. xlsx - both files contain the same structure.  

Each Excel file is formatted as a table and has a Primary Key, e.g below

Primary Key | Name | Status 

1                  | John   | 

2                  | James | Complete

I have written a flow which extracts data from both the file where the Status is Empty. This part works fine. 

I need to update both files with a value i have. I have the value stored in Flow; however, i am unable to update both the excel file. I am using the Update a row, but within the Update a row - it appears i have to hardcode a single excel file and cant select a dynamic file. The flow is throwing back an error saying it cant find the file. 

I have the update a row inside of an apply to each, and the File i have specified as a variable - but no luck. see below

Vstar19_0-1622639234586.png

Whereas if I manually select the file using icon next to file, i get the below options to update Primary Key, Status and Name

Vstar19_1-1622639512941.png

Is this a flow limitation whereby you cannot update dynamic Excel Files?. Or is there an alternative way and i am doing this wrong?

Hope that make sense. 

1 REPLY 1
Rahber
Super User
Super User

You need to have a workaround to select the file dynamically because when you select a file manually its schema and format is picked up by Power Automate.

A workaround is mentioned here: http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/5/workarounds-needed-to-use-the-excel-connector-in-microsoft-flow

and here: https://manueltgomes.com/microsoft/powerautomate/how-to-access-dynamic-path-excel/ 

Please click Accept as Solution if it resolved your problem or give it a Thumbs Up if it helped you in anyway this will allow other people to search correct solutions effectively.

Thanks,
Rahber

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (2,168)