cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OlafStetzer
Level: Powered On

word online (business) connector to convert to pdf with dynamic filename?

Hello all,

I am trying to use the word online (business) connector to convert a word document into a pdf.
I generate the word file to be converted one step earlier in the flow so would like to use
the dynamic filename created in the flow to convert the file. I have tried multiple ways to fill the
field filename in the connector with dynamic info from the previous step but none of them worked.
How is this connector supposed to be used if there is no way to use a dynamic filename?

This way it is pretty useless...

There is a similar discussion here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Flow-Action-Convert-Word-Document-to-PDF/td-p/...

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: word online (business) connector to convert to pdf with dynamic filename?

Hi @OlafStetzer ,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tested and found that this action is exactly the same as what you described. When selecting the file to be converted, we need to select the specified file from File Browse.

If we manually enter a file path or use Dynamic content to form a file path, the action cannot be executed successfully.

I am afraid we can't use Dynamic content to configure the File field currently.

If you want similar feature to be supported by MS Flow, please consider voting for the similar thread:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Word-Online-PDF-Converter-should-take-dynamic-file-in...

Besides, please consider using Convert file action provided in OneDrive connector, which supports conversion of more types of files.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
OlafStetzer

Thank you for pointing me to the idea thread, I voted there.

Maybe someone can mention this idea thread in the techcommunity forum thread as well so people there can vote for it, too? I unfortunately do not have a user id there.

Here is the link again:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Flow-Action-Convert-Word-Document-to-PDF/td-p/...

@OlafStetzer @v-bacao-msft ,

I have been able to do this and wrote a blog about it here: https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thinking/blog/id/9838/overview-of-microsoft-flows-new-word-online-con...

I was able to get the generate PDF step to work. Scroll down to the bottom of the blog to see how.

Please mark this as the solution and give kudos if this solves your issue.

Thanks,

Dan

OlafStetzer

Hi Dan,

thanks for your input. You mention in your blogpost that creating a pdf does not work for sharepoint files yet, and this is what my post her eis all about. I am afraid that this is not solving my problem. I will however give the combination of "populate template" and create pdf a try, because this is what I need anyway. Do you know if this modifies the existing template or is the "populated" word file only dynamic data and does not affect the template itself?

The latter would be problematic in my view.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 290 members 5,671 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: