cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spamtomas
Helper I
Helper I

Confused about licence

We have a large number of E3 licenses and reading the pricing guide it appears we have standard usage of PVA in teams, I also have a power automate per user license. We just discovered PVA and its seems useful for us to create some small chatbots for our team to help them out but some of our data resides in a SQL DB on premise (and for various reasons needs to stay there). It appears that premium connectors require a license to use. As I already have a power automate per user license and i'm the one creating the flows I would have thought I would be able to do this, but it says I need a license. It also appears my only pricing option is to get a full PVA plan at a cost of £1000 a month, this will simply mean we cant use it as we couldn't justify the 1k cost for asking a few questions per month. There should be an option to allow some premium connectors as add on's to the base. Or better yet, as I am already a paying customer for power automate per user, and the flow element of the chat bot functionality is power automate, that should be included as part of the power automate per user licence in PVA. Just being honest but it feels like double dipping on MS part here for that. Have I understood pricing correctly, are there options for connector licensing im missing? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @spamtomas 

Yes this is how licensing works.

as a workaround for your use case, I would suggest using your Power Automate premium license to copy data form SQL to another storage place for example SharePoint, which you.

I totally understand where you’re coming from. But we also have to acknowledge that just a couple months ago PVA included with Teams License was not a thing.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you like my post please hit the Thumbs Up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Check out my blog for Power Automate tips,
tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jcook
Super User III
Super User III

Hello @spamtomas 

Yes this is how licensing works.

as a workaround for your use case, I would suggest using your Power Automate premium license to copy data form SQL to another storage place for example SharePoint, which you.

I totally understand where you’re coming from. But we also have to acknowledge that just a couple months ago PVA included with Teams License was not a thing.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

View solution in original post

spamtomas
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks @Jcook.

I understand, its a new system. Just to be clear though we spend over 6 figure sums a year on services from MS we totally understand services need licenses and we have to pay for them. In my situation, which is the only way I can look at it, If we are paying to use the premium connectors in power automate, and then we have to pay again to use the premium connectors in power automate when used through power Virtual agents, its basically paying twice for the same service. Even looking at it from the user experience of one of our team members, currently they can go to a website and click a power automate button or do it from their mobile to get information from a flow. If we do it through PVA in teams they get to type their request in and see it in the same window, this is a minor improvement from what they currently do, but at an additional cost to our organization of £1000 a month, the value proposition for our specific case is small. By posting here I was hoping I had missed some pricing ad on package, but as you confirmed this is not the case, I will now post this as feedback to the team in the hope they might consider add on pricing options.

Thank you for the workaround idea too, we did consider it, although we have an on premise API that would also be nice to send requests too occasionally via a HTTP connector so currently we have shelved the entire idea until when/if MS provide some more feasible pricing for our situation. Shame though as the idea of PVA in teams is excellent!

Hi @spamtomas 

Wanted to let you know, if you have a PVA full license, than all the flows built inside the bot, use the License from the PVA, so you don’t need a Power Automate premium license for that.

also to connect to on prem API. You can use the HTTP with Azure AD connector in Power automate. But this would require a Power Automate premium license .

I do like your idea on add on license module.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

tricks, and guides
FlowAltDelete

@Jcook Thanks for your help and advice! All the best!

Hi @spamtomas

Thanks for your feedback. Wanted to share some context and plans around this. Hope the decisions we made will make more sense after reading this. Please let me know your thoughts.

Context:

1. Power Automate and PVA have different licensing models. Power Automate is licensed per user or per flow and depending on whether that particular user or flow is licensed, premium connectors can be used. PVA is licensed per tenant. You purchase capacity and that can be consumed by anyone after you publish your bot - it can be via your website, via Teams etc. Those end users don't have to be licensed to use PVA so looking at the user license is not necessarily possible at all times. And a bot can have multiple flows so per flow plan is not going to enable all flows either.

2. As you can learn from our release notes, you will be able to call connectors directly from PVA authoring canvas in the future. If we allow use of premium connector for PVA based on Power Automate license, this would set a difficult precedent for this scenario. 

Plans: We heard loud and clear from the community about issues in our licensing. The first step to resolve was to include limited capabilities of PVA in Teams and we are working on further improvements so that licensing won't be such a hurdle as it is today. Stay tuned. 

Regards,
Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Update

Welcome to the User Group Private Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,537)