cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoelD

Which is the functional difference between Gobal Variables and Custom Entities?

Hi,

In Power Virtual Agents there are two key components which come to mind: Custom Entities and Global Variables.

When should I use custom entities rather than global variables (and vice versa)?

For example, let's suppose that I'm developing several power virtual agents to deal with many products, and I need to store the model information so that it can be reused across all chatbots: is it correct to use global variable here, or should I opt for custom entities? Why?

Can you explain to me the crucial difference between the two, and possibly provide some examples with relevant scenarios?

1 REPLY 1
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The key difference would be that custom entities are stored in Dataverse tables. They are therefore permanent and can be retrieved from the tables by other bots, apps, or flows.  Global variables are only available inside the confines of a particular bot instance.  Once that session stops the Global variables go away.

So you would use a Custom Entity to store things like customer information or a support request. A variable would be used to hold a response to a question so you can decide how to escalate the support request.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Canadian Cloud 2022 768x460.png

Register for a free PVA chatbot creation workshop.

Learn how to respond rapidly to your customers and employees at scale, using intelligent conversational chatbots.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,154)