Highlighted
Level: Powered On
Accepted Solution

Entity via JSON data isn't possible

First of all I want to say thanks for this grandious new feature, since the release it makes seriously sense to build integrations between AX/CRM and foreign systems.

I want to create a new entity based on an example record in JSON format in Power Apps.

In this message I want to compare the offline and online functionality of Power Query.

Offline with Excel
What happens if I load a JSON file in Excel Power Query?
After the ressource was successfully load in the query editor you need the convert the json object to a table.
A table gives you the possibility tranform the record to the expected format with that Power Apps can create a new entity.

Online with Power Apps
Same procedure with different buttons.
First click "create entity via data" then choose "JSON" after that enter the URL of the file.
Everything up to here works fine, but in the Power Apps query editor you have no possibility to create a table from the json object. To shorten the story, you will end up in an entity with two fields: "name" and "value" - definitly not what I want.

Initially I tried to use an OData-Feed from our D365fOaS endpoint but the authentication with the correct company account (I have all necessary permissions) returns always the error message "Invalid credentials".

I would be grateful for any repsone!

So my question is..
.. am I doing something wrong?
.. when will the feature "convert to table" come up in Power Apps?

Kind regards,
Birk Schmitz

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft Employee

Re: Entity via JSON data isn't possible

Hey Birk,

Not sure when the "Into Table" button will show up, but for now you can add a custom step by clicking the "F(x)" button by the formula bar and change the starting formula to Record.ToTable(Source).

About connecting to an OData source, that should work.  Can you give me the URL that you are trying to hit?

Thanks,

-jeff (MSFT)

View solution in original post

Hey Jeff,

thank you for the quick response - this works indeed.
I'm pretty new to this Power Query topic, it seems that I should improve my skills here.

Anyway hopefully this thread helps other user with the same problem (and knowledge). 

All D365fOaS endpoint doesn't work because of the credential issue.
But if you want an example, here it is: https://qra-dev-bscdevaos.sandbox.ax.dynamics.com/data/TaxCodeValues

Just note that I created single record JSON files based on D365fOaS endpoint which I placed on a public server to load it into Power Apps query editor - so this is only a workaround. In general I would request these endpoints directly to create new entities.

Kind regards,

Birk

View solution in original post

All Replies
Microsoft Employee

Hey Birk,

Not sure when the "Into Table" button will show up, but for now you can add a custom step by clicking the "F(x)" button by the formula bar and change the starting formula to Record.ToTable(Source).

About connecting to an OData source, that should work.  Can you give me the URL that you are trying to hit?

Thanks,

-jeff (MSFT)

Hey Jeff,

thank you for the quick response - this works indeed.
I'm pretty new to this Power Query topic, it seems that I should improve my skills here.

Anyway hopefully this thread helps other user with the same problem (and knowledge). 

All D365fOaS endpoint doesn't work because of the credential issue.
But if you want an example, here it is: https://qra-dev-bscdevaos.sandbox.ax.dynamics.com/data/TaxCodeValues

Just note that I created single record JSON files based on D365fOaS endpoint which I placed on a public server to load it into Power Apps query editor - so this is only a workaround. In general I would request these endpoints directly to create new entities.

Kind regards,

Birk