Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Action 'Copy file' failed when copying file in the same library



I'm attempting to copy a file in the same library but getting error - Action 'Copy file' failed




Here's the flow




I've got two possible causes


The error shows an incorrect filename as it is missing the '+' signs 


Failure summary



Click here to learn about how to fix common failures. You can also ask our community where others may have encountered a similar problem.

  • Action 'Copy file' failed

    Fix It

    To make this flow work, inspect the inputs to this action and ensure they would find the right resource.

    Error type

    This action failed because it tried to access something that does not exist.

    Error Details

    The error message from the service is below. This maybe useful for support:

    The file DoP No 98_Glasstex_P200x200 R STR IB (UK).pdf does not exist. clientRequestId: 72101f9f-e6f3-43ca-bc66-01f837c5db90


    And the file path in the flow is as below





    Also the file has 7 managed metadata columns which are preventing me from using the create file using data from "Get File Content".


    I get the same error without any variables. eg I simply use the output as test.pdf and get the same error, 




    Obviously all this stems from the lack of functionality to simply rename the file, Not easy for an end user who is processing hundreds of files.


     Hope this can be resolved quickly



Community Support
Community Support

Hi cc_onetowatch,


Thanks for feedback. According to your description, I create a simple flow with the action “SharePoint – Copy file” to test this issue.

The flow’s configuration likes below:



I get two results when I modify different file with different name to run the flow, one is Succeeded while the other one is Failed.


About the Succeeded one, the file name of the modified file is “A (version 1).xlsb.xlsx”. There is no special character in the file name.

When I modify the file to run the flow, it succeeded.



About the failed one, the file name of the modified file is “Import+str_uuel+ID(UK).xlsx”, as you can see, there are special characters in the file name.

When I modify the file to run the flow, it failed with the same error message you’ve got.



It seems that the error related to the special characters in the file name.

I will be going to report and confirm it from my side and back to you once I got any updates.


Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Not applicable

Thats great thanks. I look forward to the fix

Power Apps
Power Apps

Thank you for reporting this issue. I believe we fixed a similar issue for the "Create file" action earlier this year. So a workaround to get you unblocked could be to "Get file content" and then use the "Create file" action to make it succeed.


Hope this helps. 


I have filed a report of this issue to get it fixed in a later release.

Not applicable



I tried the create file and the flow ran successfully and created a duplicate of the file however none of the managed metadata was copied across

Helpful resources

2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,664)