cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
katonage
Level 8

Apply for each Parallel for approvals

I read Apply for Each was originally Parallel and then Sequential and now with a choseable behavior. - in theory.

I really support this feature as I see both behavior is unavoidable sometimes.

Now i want to send out a number of approval letters in an Apply for each loop for a number of users. In this case parallel operation is absolutely necessary, However I see receiving the next approval (for test i've sent them all to myself) right after I accepted the first.

So they seem operating in sequential. Independently of the switch state in the settings menu in the for Each block.

How can I do this parallel?

g.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Apply for each Parallel for approvals

Hi katonage,

Please check this doc about apply to each:
https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/apply-to-each/

From the doc we know that we can use the loop apply to each to process a list of items. In your case to send out a number of approval letters for a number of users, however, the approval emails would be sent one by one in sequential.

So I am afraid that currently it is not possible to send out approval emails parallel, please consider to create a request at Flow Ideas Forum, I will help collect it on my side.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

katonage
Level 8

With the renewed parrallel apply for each (thanks!), I could do the trick using 'send email with action'. it does not works with the approvals. However functioning is suboptimal because of the maximum 50 parallel threads of the for each loop. The 51th aprroval request goes out only if someone has replied from the first batch of 50...

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi katonage,

Please check this doc about apply to each:
https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/apply-to-each/

From the doc we know that we can use the loop apply to each to process a list of items. In your case to send out a number of approval letters for a number of users, however, the approval emails would be sent one by one in sequential.

So I am afraid that currently it is not possible to send out approval emails parallel, please consider to create a request at Flow Ideas Forum, I will help collect it on my side.
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

katonage
Level 8

I dont see in the attached document what limits the apply for each by processing approvals in parrralel. 

Anyhow, I 've created a flowidea, please vote:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Apply-to-each-for-Approvals-send-out-many-approvals-i...

Until this idea is not developed/released, or there is no circumvention for the problem, I dont consider the current discussion as solved.

marcalepine
Level: Powered On

The solution is to create a seperate "work list" - we'll call it ListB

Have your "for each" create a new list item in ListB. 

Then create a flow with an "When a new item is added" trigger on ListB, and have that same flow have an approval step. 

katonage
Level 8

That is a nice idea, i also consider it implementing since I already have a list in may plans which might serve as "ListB" too.

However this is a pretty ugly, cumbersome and resource intensive workaround, so I wont accept it as a solution.

EricDeferm

A workaround (which at least for me is working) consists of adding a Flag in the Filter Query to retrieve items of the Get Items action. The flag is just one of the Item fields which is set up front the start of the approval cycle and hence reduces the number of docs that are retrieved at next run time. Each time the scheduled flow is started it only runs on the items for which the flag is not set. After a few cycles there are no more items to be considered and all approval requests were sent.

Start Approval in Apply to each.png

katonage
Level 8

With the renewed parrallel apply for each (thanks!), I could do the trick using 'send email with action'. it does not works with the approvals. However functioning is suboptimal because of the maximum 50 parallel threads of the for each loop. The 51th aprroval request goes out only if someone has replied from the first batch of 50...

katonage
Level 8

LozzieD

I'm doing a "Send email with options" inside an "Apply to each" with the parallelism / concurrency set to 50.

Still the next email is only sent when the previous one is responded to.  So it's not parallel.  It's sequential.

So this appears to not be "Completed" or "Solved!".

Microsoft have had a workflow product for over a decade and it still can't do a simple parallel approval email workflow without workarounds.  That's really p*ss poor.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 94 members 3,756 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: