cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Approval Request Emails Crash Outlook

I have several approval flows that send approval emails. Suddenly after the most recent Microsoft update my Outlook crashes whenever I try to open one of the approval emails. I found that it does not crash if I log in to Office 365 and open the approval email online. I tried everything I could think of to fix it (listed below) and I am still having the issue. It is only doing this when I try to select an approval email from flow. Nothing else is crashing outlook just these emails.

What I have already tried to do to fix it:

1. Check my add ons.

2. Repair office where it uninstalled everything and reinstalled it.

3. Ran more updates.

4. Uninstalled the most recent updates.

5. Re-build my outlook profile.

5. Outlook CrashingOutlook CrashingThe error I am gettingThe error I am gettingExample of one of the approval flows.Example of one of the approval flows.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Approval Request Emails Crash Outlook

Hi @azanetell,

Does the crash show up when you open the approval email using Outlook desktop?

Which version is your Outlook desktop?

I have made a test on my side and don’t have the issue that you mentioned. My flow’s configuration as below:2.JPG

I open the approval email in Outlook desktop:3.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:4.JPG

I think there is something wrong with your Outlook desktop, please take a try to uninstall all office 365 products and download it from Office 365 portal.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-xida-msft yes it is my Outlook desktop that crashes. I have Outlook 2016. As I said in my initial comment I did try to uninstall and reinstall all of my Microsoft products and I am still having the issue.

Do you have any other ideas?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @azanetell,

Please check and see if the following article would help in your scenario:

How to troubleshoot issues that cause Outlook to crash

If you have any question with it, please feel free to reply here.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-xida-msft as I mentioned in my initial post I have already tried all of those things. I even had my company IT group do them all again too after I did it and I still have the issue. Do you know what that error is that I am getting that I included a picture of?

Thanks

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@v-xida-msft I figured out what is causing the issue. In the body of my approval email I had a link. When I remove the link the approval email does not crash my outlook. Can you see if entering a link in the body of the message (not the "item link" box) causes this for you?

Thanks!!

linkapproval.PNG

Highlighted

We have emails from our domain to our domain require approvals from Email admins.  When I try to open the approval request outlook crashes.  The email does hava a url in it. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Any updates on this?  Seems like a lot of issues and limitations with Approvals so far.

1. Outlook crashing when customizing the e-mails with links

2. No way to customize approval buttons or actions

3. No way to send a reminder/overdue notice with the approval actions in the e-mail

Highlighted

I have the same issue. I have to view the emails in Outlook web in order to complete the approval.  But Outlook web does not show all of the mailboxes to which I have full permission.  So it is a catch 22. If I cannot view the mailbox in Outlook web then I cannot approve the email sent there.  But in Outlook viewing the email crashes Outlook.  Darn!

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,160)