cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Smedberg
Level: Power Up

Breaking change in "Get File Content" action

Good morning!

I'm not sure if this is strictly a bug, but the Flow account on Twitter asked me to post here to share my problem so here I am! Smiley Happy

The "Get File Content" action changed at some point yesterday, 12/13/2018. Previously, when pulling the contents of a *.json file, it would return the file contents as a string. Now, it attempts to parse the file's contents and if successful returns an object. It returns an error if the *.json file isn't valid JSON.

This is actually an improvement, so thank you! But it is also a breaking change. The reason I say this is because previously, we had multiple business-critical Flows which would take the string and apply the json() expression to parse it into an object. To be specific, the expression used was something like @equals(json(body('Get_File_Content')).key,foo). Unfortunately for us, the json() expression can only take strings or xml. If it receives an object, it will fail. Therefore, last night, we experienced multiple failures. We've already fixed these Flows to remove the json() expression, since it's now not only unnecessary but also causes an error.

I have 2 suggestions which I think could help with managing changes like this.

My first suggestion is to make error states more "generous". Why does json() fail if passed an object? Couldn't it return the identical object that it was passed, and return a cautionary warning that it is not intended to be used this way, without outright failing? I imagine other parsers, like string() or xml(), could also benefit from a similar approach.

My second suggestion: do you have analytics that could allow you to selectively notify users who have active Flows that use triggers you are updating? I would like to have received a notification about the update, either via the Flow notification system itself or via email, and ideally that notification would come in advance of the change.

Thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Breaking change in "Get File Content" action

Hi @David_Smedberg,

Thank you for your sharing and suggestions.

If you have any suggestions or ideas that will allow Flow to improve and give more people a better experience, please consider submitting it to here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Give-Feedback-Share-Ideas/ct-p/FL_Comm_Ideas

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,478)