cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Cannot use "Created by" from Azure DevOps as a valid receiver in "Send an Email" action

I want to send an email to a user who creates new Azure DevOps work item. However, by using "Created by", the flow does not work. It seems that flow cannot recognize the "Created by" as a valid email address. 

I have tried different actions, including "send an email", "send an email (V2)". Same issue. 

Part of my flow

Error message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Cannot use "Created by" from Azure DevOps as a valid receiver in "Send an Email" action

Hi @mariliu ,

I did a test on my side. Created By contains not only the email address, but also the Display Name of the user.

Like:

20.PNG

You coule use the Expression below to remove extra parts and leave a valid email address.

Expression reference:

replace(last(split(triggerBody()?['fields']?['System_ChangedBy'],'<')),'>','')

Image reference:

21.PNG

Please take a try again.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Cannot use "Created by" from Azure DevOps as a valid receiver in "Send an Email" action

Hi @mariliu ,

I did a test on my side. Created By contains not only the email address, but also the Display Name of the user.

Like:

20.PNG

You coule use the Expression below to remove extra parts and leave a valid email address.

Expression reference:

replace(last(split(triggerBody()?['fields']?['System_ChangedBy'],'<')),'>','')

Image reference:

21.PNG

Please take a try again.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you! Although I don't understand that expression, I just copied and pasted your reference into my Flow, and it worked. Appreciate your answer, Barry!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,822)