cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectors documentation requires improvements

I was working with Excel online (business) connector and wanted to pass dynamicly parameter to File property. I tried passing File name value from "File has been created" OneDrive trigger but it failed with message "The parameter 'file' has an invalid value". So I checked documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/

and what do I see:

image.png

The description is not helping at all and is even missleading since you can set the field using dynamic content fields or expression.

After multiple trials it occured that proper field is File identifier (not File name, File path or any other).

I suggest to change the description to
"File identifier. To point an Excel file use File Browser, Dynamic content fields or expression."

That should be applied to all other descriptions. 

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Connectors documentation requires improvements

Hi @Mike_Guzowski ,

Thanks for sharing. Could you provide a specific action?

Note that Excel online connector related actions can be configured separately, and do not depend on Dynamic content generated by the trigger or other actions to configure related fields.

And the hint here is "Select an Excel file through File Browse", there is no mention of a File Name or File identifier.

In principle, it is recommended to use "Select an Excel file through File Browse" in order to configure other fields.

In the case of Add a row into a table action, if you use Dynamic content in the File field, the fields that need to be configured in the Table cannot be displayed.

Image reference:

15.PNG16.PNG

Besides, please consider suggesting your suggestions in Site feedback so that Online doc can provide more specific guidance:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/feedback/issues

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
karstenheld
Level: Power Up

To rephrase Mike's suggestion: "The current documentation does not specify how to use variables or expressions to provide the Excel file's name. Please extend it to cover this use case."

Barry, we know that it works with picking a specific file via the built-in file picker.

What we don't know is how to use the connector with

- flows that run on a selected SharePoint document library item

- scenarios where you get the filename as a flow parameter

- scenarios where you use expressions or variables to specify the filename

It would be great if you could provide that information.

Highlighted

Ah, totally forgot about answering to your reply @v-bacao-msft . But I cannot add more to what @karstenheld has said.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 319 members 1,716 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: