cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamer
Level: Powered On

Custom Approvals: Comments not passing through when entered from Outlook client

Hello,

I recently came back to a Flow I have been developing and noticed that my comments - using the "Start and wait for an approval (V2)" connector with the Custom responses option - are returning as "{{comments[custom response label].value}}" instead of the string value that is passed into the comments box. This behavior is observed when the user responds to the approval request using the Outlook email client (version 1808).

Example of returned data from the approval connector when the Outlook email client is used:

CommentsBug.jpg

Example when using Outlook Online (through a browser window) is used:

CommentsOnline.jpg

I have tried converting the comments to a string value in my Flow; however, I still get the same result when using the Outlook client.

Could you please recommend a fix for this issue?

22 REPLIES 22
HsiehR
Level: Power Up

Re: Custom Approvals: Comments not passing through when entered from Outlook client

I am having the same issue. Please, help! Thank you!

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Re: Custom Approvals: Comments not passing through when entered from Outlook client

Hi @Streamer ,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

I have made a test on my side, it doesn't has the issue you have mentioned.

My flow:

Capture1.PNG

Outlook email client is used:

Capture2.PNG

Outlook Online (through a browser window) is used:

Capture3.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Streamer

Hello,

This is the basic setup.

1) Start and wait for an approval (V2) connector with the Custom Responses - Wait for one response approval type.

ApprovalConn.jpg

2) Users will respond to the approval request through Outlook for O365 email client (I'm using version 1808) - they will respond in the email itself as shown below.

OutlookO365.jpg

3) The returned output for the comments is of the form "{{comment[Response Option].value}}" instead of the string value.

response.jpg

4) As previously stated, I don't experience this behavior with Outlook online; however, the vast majority of my users use the Outlook for O365 email client.

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @Streamer ,

I think the issue is caused by the version of Outlook client.

On my side, the version is like below:

Capture1.PNG

The users need to respond to the approval email in the flow.

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Streamer

Hello,

I updated my version of the Outlook for O365 client to version 1905 (Build 11629.20214) and still experience the same issue.

Outlookversion.jpg

I can confirm that it works when logging into my Flow account, but it seems pointless to prompt users to respond to the request by selecting "Show original message" at the bottom of the request email and ignore the entirety of the approval email. Why even have this functionality (responding in the email) if users still have to log in and respond to the request the old way?

My question then: since this feature was working last week with my previous version of Outlook and now it isn't, does it not seem more likely that a change was made to Flow that is now causing the compatibility issues with the Outlook email client?

Zooney1

No, that is definitely not a solution, it is at best a workaround until a fix can be implemented. I believe this to be a bug, please escalate it to the product team for resolution.

There is no indicator to the end user that there is an issue with the comment field, it looks like it works fine from their perspective. So the data they enter is lost, and cannot be recorded into SharePoint, etc. Which makes this Premium Approval workflow basically useless, but we are charged for it as Plan 1.

Please let us know when this will be resolved. 

v-zhos-msft
Level 10

Hi @Streamer ,

I will raise this issue to MS team.

I think this issue will be fixed in the future.

Best Regards,

Zooney1

@Streamer  I think I'm seeing comments again, are you? 

Streamer

Hi @Zooney1 ,

Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing comments pass through correctly. Which Outlook version and build are using?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,963)