Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kamil
Level: Powered On

Email as an attachement contentBytes is null - bug

Hello,

I think this is a bug.

When somebody forward an e-mail as an attachement, then the flow which should do something with this attachement can't because this attachement is empty. Look example from Input in this case in action "When a new mail arrives", size is 50544. In Outlook Online this e-mail has an attachement and if somebody open it i shows e-mail which was forwarded.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000355 EndHTML:000068197 StartFragment:000067929 EndFragment:000067986 StartSelection:000067929 EndSelection:000067986 SourceURL:https://emea.flow.microsoft.com/manage/environments/Default-9a3f7a74-ce57-4913-bcc1-33da212e7e6a/flo... Manage your flows | Microsoft Flow

"Body": "",
"Importance": 1,
"HasAttachment": true,

"Attachments": [ { "Id": "AQMkADYzYTBmMmY1LTVmZDgtNDg1Yi05NDNmLWY5NmRmMmZiNTllNABGAAADx3_fEJupyUKjXN2vv2z6rgcAIRbGYFgyKEqWiG3CxoxYgwAAAgEMAAAAIRbGYFgyKEqWiG3CxoxYgwAAAhZzAAAAARIAEABOmyRS3qMEQIpD8kmeMnV6", "ContentType": "message/rfc822", "Size": 50544, "@odata.type": "#Microsoft.OutlookServices.FileAttachment", "Name": "Test Kamil", "ContentBytes": null }

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Email as an attachement contentBytes is null - bug

Hi @Kamil,

Did you mean that this error occurs only when the attachment in email is empty? Also, would you please share your detailed information about how did you use this attachment in below actions?

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Kamil

Bug is with all this kind of attachment. 

Step to reproduction:

1. Normal email in inbox - use Outlook Application from Office. e.q. 2016

2. In ribbon  "Respond" use "More" -> Forward as attachment

3. Send email to an email adress where flow is reading this adress with "When a new email arrives"

4. Look into flow run result. You will see:

"IsAtachement": true;

"ContentType": "message/rfc822",

"Size": real digits of size this attachment,

"@odata.type": "#Microsoft.OutlookServices.FileAttachment",

"Name": "Your email name/attachement name",

"ContentBytes": null (Here is a BUG)

"IsHtml": true 

5. Try to save this e-mail in any action in flow - you will get error!

6. Go to email accoutn where you have send the email - open it - you will see attachment. Open it, you will see your e-mail.

Do you reproduce it?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Kamil,

Can you capture a screenshot of the detailed configuration of one flow? Including what you put in each fields in flow actions.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Kamil

Hello,

Nothing special:snip_20170903215635.png

Then worklow want to send all attachment:snip_20170903215813.png

Attachment name is a variabel - to make sure that name is not empty. Content is standard field taken from triiger.

And here is output when flow is run with attahcment "forwarded e-mail"snip_20170903220004.png

If you need triger input data from this example or more information on this workflow, I can send but do not want to make it public.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also faced the same problem when I planned to create a files in sharepoint using the contents from a xlsx format attachments from outlook email. 

The contensbytes of tigger output of attachments is "NULL"

I think it should be related to the ATP for the outlook email attachments and Protect view of Microsoft excel.

Is there any workround to solve this issue?

Highlighted
Brentless
Level 8

I had the same problem yesterday, the only fix I could find was to start with the pre built template (outlook to SharePoint). Previous flows using the content bytes were running fine, but trying to build a new one of the fly was failing
mpoppe

I also have this problem, I have a flow with the trigger : when a new email arrives.  The attachments can't be handled in the flow because of the Contentbytes:null (attachment is not empty!).  I tried with pdf, xlsx and htm files as attachments, all the same problem.  Anyone has an answer?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Flow Online Conference

Join us for a FULL day of FREE Microsoft Flow Sessions from some of the best minds in the industry!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 4,308 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: