cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Error Populating Lookup Field

I've seen the announcemnt that writing to a lookup is now supported but I still can't get this to work.  I've created a test flow that will trigger when a new item is created in one SharePoint List then create a new item in another sharepoint list.  I've tried having the value of the lookup from the first list update the lookup in the new item and it errors out.  I then tried to manually set the lookup field of the new item and that fails as well.  Both times with a 400 error.  Am I missing something?

Dynamicly Entered.PNG

Manually entered.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: Error Populating Lookup Field

I was able to finally get this to work after deleting and recreating the create item tasks again.  This ended up being hours of work as some of my workflows have many steps.  If this is going to be the solution to every time they add functionality it's going to make it almost un-usable.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rmcsmile,

Could you please show a bit more about the 400 error?

Further, could you share more details about your two SharePoint lists?

I have made a test on my side and don’t have the issue that you mentioned.

Error 400 in HTTP should be a Bad request. I think the “Create item” action is not working well in your flow. Please take a try to check the connection information and try again.

Also please take a try to re-create this flow to check.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @v-xida-msft,

Thank you for looking into this.  This was happening in another flow that is in production so the flow I'm showing is a brand new one.  I'm able execute the flow with when the lookup field is left empty.  The lists are pretty simple.  There are three custom lists.  One that the lookup refers to with just the departments in the Title field.  Another for the Requests, once a new item is created the flow starts, one of the fields on the requests is the department.  The last list for Tasks is where the Create Item action is pointing and where I'd like the Department lookup to be populated.   The department lookup column is a site column that is set to optional on the Content Types for both the Requests and Tasks lists.

Here's the error I get:  

A value must be provided for item. clientRequestId: c99e8ddc-44a0-4c04-b41f-c5f6abf5bed9

And some screen shots:

New Item BodyNew Item Body

Create Item InputsCreate Item Inputs

Create Item BodyCreate Item Body

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was able to finally get this to work after deleting and recreating the create item tasks again.  This ended up being hours of work as some of my workflows have many steps.  If this is going to be the solution to every time they add functionality it's going to make it almost un-usable.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Is this a solution? I often come across this problem. Isn't a solution actually fixing the bug causing us to have to repeat tedious tasks of recreating actions over and over? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,699)