cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MomMWD22

File create triggered flow runs multiple times

I have a flow that is triggered by the creation of a file in One Drive for Business.  The flow itself functions as expected, but the majority of the time when I upload a file to One Drive, the Flow runs two times.  The flow is reading a file, inserting data to a database, running a stored procedure, and then sending an email.  Running more than once is problematic as a result.

3 REPLIES 3
MomMWD22

FlowExample.pngFlowExampleHistory.png

Narrowed this down to the Excel Get Rows step.  If I use the File Identifer as the file name instead of selecting a specific file, it is causing a second flow to be spawned.  Perhaps getting the file causes a temporary file to be created and it thus triggers the flow again? 

I have found multiple references that say to use the file identifer so that you don't have to worry about what the file is called.  Seems like this is a bug.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this?

Also determined that if I abandon the "created file" trigger and go with an update and hard code the file name for get rows that this ALSO fires the flow a second time.  Only when I trigger based on file create and hard code the file name to be used in get rows does it properly run just one flow.

I ended up doing a work around here where I added a step to copy the created file to a consistently named file.  I then reference that consistently named file in the get rows file reference.  It then runs only one time.  So, I got my flow to work, but this is still a bug in my mind.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,865)