cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MomMWD22
Level: Power Up

File create triggered flow runs multiple times

I have a flow that is triggered by the creation of a file in One Drive for Business.  The flow itself functions as expected, but the majority of the time when I upload a file to One Drive, the Flow runs two times.  The flow is reading a file, inserting data to a database, running a stored procedure, and then sending an email.  Running more than once is problematic as a result.

3 REPLIES 3
MomMWD22

Re: File create triggered flow runs multiple times

FlowExample.pngFlowExampleHistory.png

MomMWD22

Narrowed this down to the Excel Get Rows step.  If I use the File Identifer as the file name instead of selecting a specific file, it is causing a second flow to be spawned.  Perhaps getting the file causes a temporary file to be created and it thus triggers the flow again? 

I have found multiple references that say to use the file identifer so that you don't have to worry about what the file is called.  Seems like this is a bug.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this?

Also determined that if I abandon the "created file" trigger and go with an update and hard code the file name for get rows that this ALSO fires the flow a second time.  Only when I trigger based on file create and hard code the file name to be used in get rows does it properly run just one flow.

MomMWD22

I ended up doing a work around here where I added a step to copy the created file to a consistently named file.  I then reference that consistently named file in the get rows file reference.  It then runs only one time.  So, I got my flow to work, but this is still a bug in my mind.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (5,415)