cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tsyrell
Level: Powered On

File name no longer available with File Deleted trigger

I have a flow that has been running without error for several months.  The flow is triggered when a file is deleted from a library.  The first step in the flow was to initialize a variable to the first 7 characters of the file name using the following expression:

substring(triggerBody()?['FileNameWithExtension'],0,7)

As I've mentioned, this has been working for months, and then starting Saturday, 7/6, that step now receives the following error:

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Init_CDDName_field' inputs at line '1' and column '2866': 'The template language function 'substring' parameters are out of range: 'start index' and 'length' must be non-negative integers and their sum must be no larger than the length of the string. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions#substring for usage details.'.

Someone else tried to replicate the issue and received the following:

teat.PNG

Flow triggers but fails to get the Name, Filenamewithextension and the Deletedbyusername fields. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: File name no longer available with File Deleted trigger

Hi @tsyrell ,

Thanks for feedback.

The issue could be reproduced by me. It seems that the dynamic content FileName with extension from SharePoint trigger When a file is deleted doesn’t return any content.

I will help report it from my side.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @tsyrell ,

Thanks for feedback.

The issue could be reproduced by me. It seems that the dynamic content FileName with extension from SharePoint trigger When a file is deleted doesn’t return any content.

I will help report it from my side.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

tsyrell

Thanks Mabel.

bnk62

Hi @tsyrell,

I have this problem as well. I raised a Support Request through our corporate account and after the support person spoke to the product team, they responded as follows:

"Unfortunately, this behavior (missing file name and deleted user name) is now "By Design". A few weeks ago they found a potential security vulnerability and were forced to stop sending this information to the Flow action."

Then from the support person - "They're currently thinking of alternative ways to restore this kind of functionality (though maybe in a more limited way), but there is no ETA on that yet."

I pushed back on this with several questions as I think this response is completely unacceptable (but hardly surprising unfortunately) and I'm waiting to see what the product team comes back with.

I'll keep you posted...
tsyrell

Thanks @bnk62 

bnk62

Hi @tsyrell ,

The product team got back to me through the support team with the following statement:

"[The Product Team] have confirmed that they removed the File Name and the DeletedBy User Name due to some concerns in the SharePoint API consumed by Flow.

We agree that there was no proper announcement made by Microsoft before removing the functionality but it has been done to improve the API and the security features of the existing connector.

The product team is working for solution for this issue and will be trying to make the trigger outputs same as previous outputs but currently we do not have any ETA for general availability."

I have asked to be kept in the loop on any updates/communications, but it seems for the foreseeable future the "When a file is deleted" trigger has essentially been rendered inoperable.

Regards,

Bill

lmartini

THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM

When Microsoft does stuff like this it puts A MAJOR QUESTION in my mind as to whether this Power Platform is really ready for enterprise level operations. When systems are built on flow and they suddenly fail because Microsoft unilaterally removes a capability with absolutely no announcement or forewarning makes the very unstable and unreliable.

Because of this we are having to re-think our commitment to the whole power platform system. One thing is for sure, stuff like keeps developers in business - re-developing the same systems over and over.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,657)