Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ysm
Helper I
Helper I

Flow 28-day run history vs 30-day duration and retention limits

Hi,

Our flows are nowhere in the flow history which caused us an issue because the flow runs stops. We are aware regarding the Power Automate documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config that the retention policy of flow is 30 days that is why we set a 29-day restart of our flows. Then, I just notice the 28-day run history in flow history. I am confused now in which is the correct retention of flows?  And why is the 28-day run history not in the Power Automate limitations documentation?

Power Automate 28-day history.png

Please advise as soon as possible, this is an issue to us since it greatly affected our process. Thank you.

Regards,

YSM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@ysm

Please check below 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/missing-runs-or-triggers-history-for-a-flow-fef09ed9-2a7f-...

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@ysm 

low history runs is kept only for 28 days.

The 30 days mentioned in the above article indicates how long a single instance of a flow run can be a waiting state and as an example it is the waiting time for approval workflows.

I do understand what you are coming from so if you have a run that started 29 days ago you can't see it.

Mira_Ghaly_1-1611546184137.png

I have a similar situation for a flow that is in waiting state and it has passed 29 days and still appearing in the History in the running instances

So i think you should not be concerned that much but i suggest that u keep monitoring but at my side it is still showing as per the above screenshot.

If it is not on the flow History then it is not longer Running and completed so the alternative will be to copy the flow run history before they are deleted.

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

ysm
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Mira_Ghaly ,

Thank you for your response. However, I still have a question, if there is a 30-day waiting time for the flow instance, is it still running in the background even if it is not in the flow history? I ask this because what I had experience is that when the instance is deleted in the flow history, the process was unable to continue, hence our process stops before it was restarted on the 29th day. 

Regards,

YSM

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@ysm 

I need to understand the main logic for your flow so that I can give you accurate answer, In my case it was approval flow and it was still running and I could see it on the flow history although it started on 27th December,2020.

SO if the instance is still in Running State it is not deleted from History only Succeeded Instances

ysm
Helper I
Helper I

@Mira_Ghaly 

My flows are same with yours. It is an approval workflow that will rerun every 29th day, however, if the instance of that flow is deleted  flow history because of the 28-day run history, will the process still continue or it will just stop because the instance is already deleted?

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@ysm 

It will still run given till the 30 day where it will stop running as this is the maximum wait time a flow can be running.

Mira_Ghaly_0-1611562415774.png

ysm
Helper I
Helper I

hi @Mira_Ghaly 

Do we have documentation that even though the flow history instance is gone it will still run? I just that I noticed when the flows are deleted in the flow history, our process is not continuing. I just need a proof to show to our client. 

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@ysm

Please check below 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/missing-runs-or-triggers-history-for-a-flow-fef09ed9-2a7f-...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Users online (980)