cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flow Approvals are dropping the underscore character suddenly

my dynamic fields have the underscore character and Approvals are suddenly dropping/losing/ignoring this character.  Using the same field in the email subject whith a value like "jobname_1" it is fine.  In the approval this becomes "jobname1" with no underscore.  What happened?!!  This was fine a week ago.  I'm trying to roll this out to production, have you guys ever heard of testing or change management?  It looks like something has been rolled out in Approvals that has broken this.  Please help asap!

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow Approvals are dropping the underscore character suddenly

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you use the "Start an approval" action to send the approval email?

Further, could you please show a bit more about the Dynamic fields that you mentioned?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. My flow's configuration as below:6.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:7.JPG

Please check if your Dynamic field value contains the underscore character. In addition, please check if you have add other actions to remove the underscore character within the Dynamic field value in your flow.

Please also consider take a try to re-create your flow to check if the issue is solved on your side.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kris, thanks for your efforts, my dynamic fields do contain the underscore character and the underscore shows up in the text of the email but seems to get dropped or lost inside the approval portion of the flow.  I do not have time to rebuild the flow, or even to provide further documentation, it's fairly complex and I have to tie this project up.  I have decided to use a period in place of the underscore and all is well (for now).  I have to say I am not at all impressed with the "flakiness" I have experienced using powerapps/flow. I have a great deal of concern that once I hand this system over to the customer it will break for mysterious reasons at an inopportune time and put their processes out of service.  Hopefully events such as this are rare.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kris, further information for you - the place where this seems to break is in a dynamic vaiable that contains the path to a folder.  The underscores are being dropped, it just came up again.  I use a number of different things to "compose" the path and folder names (unit number, customer code, job number) and it appears I cannot use underscores in any of those or the path in the approval part of the flow does not work.  The same variable is used in emails and is fine, it is just the approvals portion that does not like the underscores.

JohnMorse
Level: Powered On

Morning Kris,

I have come across the same issue in my work.  See below screenshots for my dummy run. 

Like @Anonymous said this seems like a new issue as I have had a Flow definition running for a while which handled file paths on SharePoint with underscores which worked up until recently. 

We can work around it by using the Approval section of the Flow site but it would be good for my users to be able to click a link from Outlook to see the file they are reviewing.

Kind regards,

John

flow.PNGScreenshot Flowapproval.PNGScreenshot Approval App (note highlighted)Outlook Online.PNGOutlook online (highlighted yellow)Outlook 2016.PNGOutlook 2016 (yellow)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys. My workaround was to replace the underscores with periods which are working fine for now. I had a similar issue where spaces in a file path sent to emails via a variable had been working and then stopped working. I replaced the spaces with %20 and the problem was corrected. I find this quite troubling in that I have finished my contract and have delivered the product to my customer. He is very concerned that it might again inexplicably break at some point in the future. How can one in good conscience recommend this fir use with mission critical business processes?
JohnMorse
Level: Powered On

@v-xida-msft

Have you managed to replicate the issue using the example I provided?

mmangiante
Level 8

Hello,

experienced same issue here: in Outlook 2016, if there is a link to a file in Approvals, it is without the underscore. Sadly, in the mail that I receive I see the "original" message and it is present; I also see the underscore in the json of the actions.

Any news about the resolution of this issue?

ERentz44
Level: Power Up

Any news on Microsoft Flow replacing underscore characters?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 406 members 5,636 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: