cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Flow Condition Not Working

I recently designed a Flow for a SharePoint list where an email was to be sent to the person who was assigned something in the list. Once the email was sent, the Flow then would place a 'Sent' value in a column so that multiple emails were not sent every time a change occurred on the list triggering the Flow to run again.

A condition was put in place to look for the value in the Sent Email column at the start of the Workflow directing the Flow to terminate if a 'Sent' value was detected. If a 'Not Sent'  value was detected it was to continue on the Flow and send the email.  What I discovered is that the dynamic content option which builds the background code for the Condition automatically was making a mistake in the code, causing the Flow to ignore the Condition and keep sending emails every 5 minutes. 

Article referencing this:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Using-Flows/Flow-fails-on-Yes-No-column-Big-Flow/td-p/35116

The workround mentioned in the above article is no longer possible since the ability to edit in advanced mode has been removed. I was able to figure out a workaround where I am using an expression instead of the dynamic content in the Condition. It looks for a value...any value... and if something is detected it treats it as 'Sent'. This seems to have worked around the problem, but it would be great if someone can investigate how the Conditions are working in SharePoint lists when dynamic content is used to build them. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Flow Condition Not Working

Hi @RedFox ,

Could you provide more details about Sent Email field? Whether it is a Choice type or a text type.

If its type is choice, then you need to use Choice value to configure Condition.

Image reference:

23.PNG

Please try again.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Flow Condition Not Working

Here are the details of the Flows.  I have tried many different combinations of things to see what works.  Below is one that did not work and sent 9 emails within 2 minutes for the same entry even though the first condition for the email already having been sent was working correctly and switching the value in the list to show the email had been sent.  It was created with a template and then modified to switch a field on the list called 'Assignee Notification Sent' to 'Yes' once an email was sent.

This value of 'Yes' should have prevented more emails from being sent if the first Condition in the Flow was working correctly. I tried setting this up in the SharePoint list with both the Boolean yes/no option and the Complex choice option for yes and no.

Did not work:

FlowFail.png

Here is a screen shot of the one that worked. I changed the condition to simply look to see if any value was in the field showing whether an email had already been sent or not and this worked. If the field was empty it continued on to send an email, if there was anything entered in the field it terminated the Flow. I also did not use a template to create this Flow and created it from scratch, so it is possible that had something to do with it working as well.  Any insight would be appreciated. 

Worked:

FlowSuccess.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,704)