cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmayKulkarni
Level: Powered On

Re: Flow: Existing item is modified triggers when a new item is created in Sharepoint list

yes, i am also facing same issue, created and modified are different in Item create, how to handle it?

wnzn
Level 8

Re: Flow: Existing item is modified triggers when a new item is created in Sharepoint list

Take a look at this blog post. Using this API call does not trigger another instance of the same Flow.

https://robertschouten.com/2018/04/30/update-file-metadata-with-rest-api-using-validateupdatelistite...

MariaOrza

@wnzn There is one trigger called : When an existing item is modified  in this Flow Template . Maybe the use got it from there. 

when an existing list item is modified.PNG

when an existing list item is modified1.PNG

DanielaHo

Hi Kris, 

I have tried your solution but when I enter 

@equals(triggerBody()?['Created'], triggerBody()?['Modified'])

I get an error saying "The expression is invalid". Has anything changed since your post?

Capture2.JPG

wnzn
Level 8

You need to add one part of the condition (created) in the left input box and the other part (modified) in the right input box. 🙂 

marsin04

FOUND HIDDEN ON MODIFY TRIGGER ACTION - I was also having trouble due to the Created & Modified times being 1 minute apart from one another (even when it truly was a new Item), so I found a Template that claims it Triggers solely on a Modified Existing Item. Use this Template and then change out the subsequent actions (after the Trigger action) to what you need!Flow Template - trigger on Modify.PNG

On modify.png

User21453123

Still not working. Any suggestions? my flow is constantly looping endlessly. Is there an option to stay execute once and stop afterwards?

Highlighted
wnzn
Level 8

No, as every instance of your Flow is unaware of other runs.

As I suggested, you can update your current item by calling the SharePoint REST API and using the ValidateUpdateListITem() method.

X.png

The body of your call should look like this:

{
	"formValues": 
	[
		{"FieldName": "FileLeafRef", "FieldValue": "Rename.docx"},
		{"FieldName": "Title", "FieldValue": "New Title"}
	],
	"bNewDocumentUpdate": true
}

Where you add each field you want to update in the formValues object.

By setting the bNewDocumentUpdate to true, you say to SharePoint that this is a "system update" so there is no new version created and the Flow is not triggered again.

You can find more information about supported fields at the bottom of this post: http://blog.arvosys.com/2018/07/06/list-items-system-update-options-in-sharepoint-online/index.html

CRISLIPSKI

I LOVE YOU!!! Works perfectly!

DanielaHo

Hi All, 

I am finding that a Flow triggered 'when item is created or modified' takes several minutes to be triggered when the item was modified... whereas the Flow triggers very quickly when a new item was created. Anyone else finding the same thing?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 319 members 5,789 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: